PDA

View Full Version : More concrete on car pics/advice

Patrick
11-03-2003, 04:33 PM
I went and looked at a potential job today, actually an appt has been made to get this concrete splatter of this Izusu....I have read previous threads regarding concrete removal, i.e. white vinegar. That trick worked on the plastic portions of this car, however, the metal surfaces tend to be more difficult. I guess my question goes out to David, the Mayor of Autopia, who has had pretty good luck with removal. David, give me your tips on removal of the concrete itself, without causing additional damage to the clearcoat...Being as its abrasive to begin with, and "lifting" the material is not an option, what is the next best recourse ?

Gonzo
11-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Heat the vinegar in a sauce pan first. Temp should be about the same as that when you wash your hands, not scalding hot. Soak a terry cloth with hot vinegar and drape over concrete and let it sit until cloth reaches ambient temp. Repeat until concrete gone.

BK1
11-04-2003, 08:55 AM
I actually had the reverse of your results-- the white vinegar worked well on the paint but not on the plastic wheel inserts. I`ll have to try heating the vinegar now...

imported_f150smith
11-04-2003, 12:15 PM
I used it at room temp on my truck with good results. Someone else suggested using diesel fuel in the same manner with good results. Seems the diesel option is what people use that work on or around concrete plants.

Detailing NY
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by f150smith

I used it at room temp on my truck with good results. Someone else suggested using diesel fuel in the same manner with good results. Seems the diesel option is what people use that work on or around concrete plants.

would you really HEAT UP DIESEL FUEL in a sauce pan, if so let me know when you are going to do it so I can come and video tape it and make $100,000.00 off you on Americas Funniest home video.

:)

jeremyp111
11-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by NY detailer

would you really HEAT UP DIESEL FUEL in a sauce pan, if so let me know when you are going to do it so I can come and video tape it and make $100,000.00 off you on Americas Funniest home video.

I`d pay to see that one!............from a half mile away that is!

:shocked

chaotik
11-04-2003, 06:12 PM
I have to try the vinegar trick. I do road construction,so I deal with getting asphalt and prime ( the oil like substance that they put down before paving) off my paint and polished aluminum all the time.

My company just started doing concrete road construction and when we get loaded from the plants, they do tend to splatter everywhere!! We tried putting a heavy coat of wax on everything and not buffing it off until we were done for the day...figuring it wouldnt let it bond to the paint.......DIDNT WORK!!!!

By the way...muratic acid does take off concrete.....not big thick stuck on pieces, but the splatter. I know you dont want to use it on paint, etc....but I just thought I would let you know what a concrete mixer driver told me.

blkyukon
11-05-2003, 11:06 PM

Definitely be in the top ten for the Darwin Awards:D

imported_ajbarnes
11-08-2003, 05:10 PM

:D :lol