PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches on windshield?

twopu
11-03-2003, 04:14 PM
Is there anything I can do to remove scratches from my windshield? There is huge arched scratch on my windshield caused by something being stuck on my wipers. This arch is annoying the hell out of me. Help!!!

Thanks

explorer
11-03-2003, 07:35 PM
When I bought my XL-7, six months ago it came with a scratch on the windshield wich was made by something that got stuck on the wiper..........any way long story short I made them change the windshield, but the car was new.

How old is your car?

If it is not deep maybe you can try Autoglym glass polish, you will need a PC, and a lot of experience with it.

shaf
11-04-2003, 12:15 AM
Sounds pretty bad. A retail glass polish may not do the trick, but you could try it at your own discretion. It`s not hard to use.

The alternative is to take it to a glass shop and ask if it can be polished out with professional methods/materials. If they shake their head then, then it`s replacement time...

chris0626
11-06-2003, 07:36 AM
Unfortunately, this question gets asked a lot. (I say "unfortunately" only because it`s a sad problem to have.) You can use the search engine to find out the various solutions that have been suggested/tried. That`ll give you more input than you`ll get in any single thread. You might try this search. (http://www.autopia.org/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=179541&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending)

luke667
11-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Hey explorer, can i see some pics of the Xl-7...really interested in that jeep, don`t really like th elook of the 2003 model tho...take loads of pics for me :D

mlg56
11-07-2003, 05:06 AM
If you can feel the scratch with a fingernail then it is probably beyond a glass polish capabilities unfortunately.

twopu
11-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the help. My windshield is scratch all over but you can barely feel it. Have many of you had success with autoglym? I also heard that Zaino`s window polish might work, any truth to this? Are there any other polishes that work with a PC?

Thanks

chris0626
11-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Me, I have deep, DEEP scratches (seriously obvious, but not so deep you can feel them with a fingernail) on the `70 VW we`re restoring. I`ve tried the Zaino Glass Polish with a PC. No effect. Ditto for 0000 steel wool and Bon Ami.

As I said before, take a look at other threads on this topic. Sometimes, you may need to decide to take the "I have nothing more to lose" approach -- which is where I am with the Ghia, but you may not be.

And good luck!