PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Wheels

TPG013
11-03-2003, 10:01 AM
I have a Camaro with white wheels. It`s the 30th anniv. edition and it came with them, not my choice. The problem is that there are alot of little dark spots all over the wheel. I assume it is brake debris that has bonded to the rim. My question is how can it be removed? I have tried clay, DACP, brake fluid, gasoline, even tried heating it up but no success. I can scrape some of the bigger spots off with my nail once in awhile, but there are too many to keep doing that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

imported_kgb
11-03-2003, 10:13 AM
i would never use gasoline or brake fluid on painted wheels!

Try some Eagle One A2Z and elbow grease or some Stoner`s Tarminator and elbow grease?

Can you get pics of them up so we can tell whether the problem is brake dust or something else?

TPG013
11-03-2003, 11:54 AM
I`d love to do a picture but no digital camara. I`d don`t know if I`d call it brake dust because it`s a bigger particle than that. It looks as it it got despostited there when hot and bonded to the surface. I was told once before it was brake pad stuff. All I know is it dosen`t come off and it looks like crap.

imported_Luster
11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
My son`s `95 Camaro has the silver-painted cast aluminum wheels, probably similar to yours.

They are the hardest wheels I`ve ever tried to keep clean. Camaros are famous for break dusting. And the break dust seems to "stick".

I recently used One Grand Special Touch and it required some rubbing, but it did get them clean. I spent about 30-40 minutes on each wheel.

I followed this with Zaino.

A week later, the KRUD was back. But the Zaino helped make them easier to clean.