PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if my terry towels are 100%?

Maxima91
10-31-2003, 10:15 PM
hi, i bought a 40 pack of terry towels from cosco, not sure if any of you have seen them before, they say 100% cotton, but i rubbed one against a aol cd hehe, and it did leave some scratches, i also got some mf towels from there and they were pretty good and didnt really scratch soo.. my question is, are these good or what?

im assuming since u get 40 towels for 10 bucks sounds like im getting what im paying for obviously... so i was just wondering what you guys think, i think its so much easier to dry and QD with terry than my MF, the MF towels seem to slip off my hands when i wipe my car, its a real pain, and i cant get a good grip on them.. any thoughts would be great, thanks

Maxima99

raymond_ho2002
11-01-2003, 05:39 AM
the general consensus on this board is to not use them on the paint. If you don`t have chrome wheels, I personally wouldn`t see a problem in using those towels to dry them.

madazskunk
11-01-2003, 05:52 AM
Can`t remember if I got this info here or in one of the older detailing books I have, but I remember that if you truly want 100% cotton it should be made in the U.S.A. The stuff from the middle east and asia aren`t truly 100% cotton. Don`t know if it`s true but I went by it. If you want to use cotton towells on your paint I would recommend shelling out a few extra bucks and get a couple of good quality towells.

medic159
11-01-2003, 12:40 PM
If it says 100% Cotton then it "might" be if it is made in the USA. It also "might" be if it is from anywhere else.

The law: content as well as country of origin must be stated on a label or package.

What determines content: if the item is more than one fiber (cotton poly for example) the content might either be the greater in content or greater in value. i.e.: a poly cotton fabric could be 75% by weight of poly but if the cotton is a greater $$ value (90% cost is cotton/10% cost is poly) the label may say 90 cotton/10 poly.

Country of origin: very tricky here! If a fabric is made overseas but the item is cut and made in the USA and the "value" of the work in the USA exceeds the value of the fabric then the item can be labeled Made in the USA. Sometimes you see labels that say Made in the USA of imported fabric but this is rare to see.

Also, fabric from overseas is not necessarily bad, it is the importer into the USA you have to watch out for most of the time. To increase sales they will put a Made in USA label on an item no matter where it was made.

So what to do? Do the burn test and the CD test and if the towel works for you then use it!

Burn test:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20801&highlight=burn+test