PDA

View Full Version : Visor Extenders and Scratches on Mirrors

Mike Win
10-31-2003, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know a place to buy visor extenders? Something like this... http://www.wdrake.com/shop/product...._item_num=43509

And I made the mistake of trying to get off some sticky glue substance on my side mirrors with a pad of brown wool or whatever that I use to wash dishes (you know, like the dish washing sponges that have that piece of wool on one side) and it`s left major scratches on my side mirrors. Can I get rid of them? If not, can I replace them? How much would this stuff cost?

Edit: I got the sticky glue substance from a blind-spot mirror. I stuck the blind-spot mirror onto my side mirror, realized I put it in the wrong spot, and I took it off. The glue was still on there, and I didn`t realize to use a little razor to take of the glue. Instead Iused that brown pad thing and got it off with scrubbing and water. Needless to say, that area where I scrubbed got scratched the hell out of. My side mirrors are all scratches to hell in the spots where I stuck on the blind spot mirrors. I`ve gotten use to them, but if I try to look for it, it`s a major eyesore.

imported_Dave Holmes
11-01-2003, 12:51 AM
A lot of newer vehicles have exterior mirrors made of plastic with a reflective coating on top. Thus, they scratch very easily.

Luckily, they can be replaced fairly easy and cheaply (usually, depending on the type of vehicle). Some are only held in by clips, and pop right off of their bracket. Check in a Haynes manual or factory service manual for your vehicle before yanking on your mirrors, though. Keep in mind that heated mirrors will be more expensive and harder to replace.

What I would do is find a local supplier of your mirrors, and get a price. Then I would try a plastic polish (such as Novus #2). If that doesn`t work, you already have a supplier of new parts lined up. If it does work, you saved some money.

If your mirrors are indeed glass, an appropriate glass polish could be substituted for the plastic polish.

Dave