PDA

View Full Version : 303 Aerospace Protectant & Lexol

sprite113
10-30-2003, 10:09 PM
Would it be possible to apply 303 on top of lexol conditioned leather???:confused:

Question 2: what is the going rate for a 8oz 303 aerospace??16oz???:confused: :confused:

volvostud
11-02-2003, 05:52 PM
Don`t see why not - the back label of the 303 bottle mentions that it can be used on leather interiors. Since Lexol is a conditioner, I don`t foresee any problems with topping it with 303 as a protectant. As for the price, I couldn`t tell you about 8 oz, but I got 16 oz for $13 here.

Buster
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Anyone else have a preference between these two products? I`ve been using 303, but have a bottle of Lexol. Think I just found my answer... :idea

"Eugene,

I use 303 exclusively on my leather, namely my 2002 F-150. I do clean the leather first using Lexol leather cleaner, or just mild soap(1/2 oz or less carwash or other mild soap) in a bucket of lukewarm water. I wash, then rinse using a seperate bucket of clean water and damp cloth, and then dry using a MF towel(one of my more inexpensive ones).

I do think Lexol is a good product. I think TWOOD is speaking of Vinylex though, since he mentions the Lexol Leather Cleaner/Conditioner in a seperate sentence.

I wrote David B last week with a similar question. I asked if 303 alone was enough to protect and keep my leather supple, or if I needed to use an additional oil conditioner like Lexol or Hyde Food in order to keep the leather soft. Here is David`s response:

Only leathers tanned with an oil need to be treated with an oil-based

dressing. These days, most leather is tanned in water. In fact, the hides

are split, milled and dyed with water-based systems. A petrol-based

dressing, like Hide Food, will soften and quickly remove the clear coat (the

seats will feel sticky).

I do not recommend mixing products. If you plan to use 303... stick with

it. If you plan to use Lexol spray... stick with it. If you want to

change, be sure to clean the upholstery very well first. The reason is that

you have no idea what chemicals are being used and what reaction you might

get to mixing them.

My personal preference, for the past couple of years, is 303 Aerospace. I

like that it has almost no smell. It`s not greasy. It dries fast and

evenly, and my black BMW and Porsche interiors are holding up very well,

even out in the California sun."

I do know that my F-150 has a clearcoat on the leather, it is mentioned in the owner`s manual.

Sorry for long post.

Bill D
06-28-2005, 02:21 PM
303 exclusively here. On my 16 year old car though, I`ve used Lexol for the longest time.

stevet
06-28-2005, 02:38 PM
Anyone else have a preference between these two products? I`ve been using 303, but have a bottle of Lexol. Think I just found my answer... :idea

"Eugene,

I use 303 exclusively on my leather, namely my 2002 F-150. I do clean the leather first using Lexol leather cleaner, or just mild soap(1/2 oz or less carwash or other mild soap) in a bucket of lukewarm water. I wash, then rinse using a seperate bucket of clean water and damp cloth, and then dry using a MF towel(one of my more inexpensive ones).

I do think Lexol is a good product. I think TWOOD is speaking of Vinylex though, since he mentions the Lexol Leather Cleaner/Conditioner in a seperate sentence.

I wrote David B last week with a similar question. I asked if 303 alone was enough to protect and keep my leather supple, or if I needed to use an additional oil conditioner like Lexol or Hyde Food in order to keep the leather soft. Here is David`s response:

Only leathers tanned with an oil need to be treated with an oil-based

dressing. These days, most leather is tanned in water. In fact, the hides

are split, milled and dyed with water-based systems. A petrol-based

dressing, like Hide Food, will soften and quickly remove the clear coat (the

seats will feel sticky).

I do not recommend mixing products. If you plan to use 303... stick with

it. If you plan to use Lexol spray... stick with it. If you want to

change, be sure to clean the upholstery very well first. The reason is that

you have no idea what chemicals are being used and what reaction you might

get to mixing them.

My personal preference, for the past couple of years, is 303 Aerospace. I

like that it has almost no smell. It`s not greasy. It dries fast and

evenly, and my black BMW and Porsche interiors are holding up very well,

even out in the California sun."

I do know that my F-150 has a clearcoat on the leather, it is mentioned in the owner`s manual.

Sorry for long post.

This post is confusing. Is the first part that is addressed to Eugene from David B too?

Terran
06-28-2005, 04:44 PM
You guys are using 303 aerospace protectant on leather? I thought using vinyl protectants on leather was a no-no even though they say they can be used for leather?

I got 16oz from a local RV store for $12.99.

salty
06-28-2005, 06:55 PM
[quote name=`Terran`]You guys are using 303 aerospace protectant on leather? I thought using vinyl protectants on leather was a no-no even though they say they can be used for leather?

QUOTE]

That goes for solvent based dressings.

jasonmac
06-29-2005, 04:28 AM
You guys are using 303 aerospace protectant on leather? I thought using vinyl protectants on leather was a no-no even though they say they can be used for leather?

I got 16oz from a local RV store for $12.99.

The majority of `leather` in cars today are vinyl-coated for protection.

Terran
06-29-2005, 11:41 AM
ah. Ok, cool. I don`t have leather anyway...just curiousity.

BigO
06-30-2005, 09:27 AM
So I can just use 303 on my leather, and not worry about using any other cleaners or conditioners?

mglyder
07-11-2005, 09:16 AM
So I can just use 303 on my leather, and not worry about using any other cleaners or conditioners?

I would like to know the answer to this too. Thanks.

Siggyboy
07-11-2005, 11:27 AM
Hi all.

303 Aero Protectant works well on leather in my experience. It is my favorite interior product.

I still clean my leather seats etc. with a leather cleaner (Lexol) and follow up with a leather conditioner, and then as a final treatment, I go over everything with a thin amount of 303 for a bit more sheen and UV protection.