PDA

View Full Version : pc vs. rotery

10-30-2003, 10:00 AM
I`ve used rotery buffer for a couple of years now, mainly doing my own and family vehicles. it seems most of you perfer pc over rotery. It also seems most quality polishes can`t be applyed with rotery anyway. should I switch to pc?

JasonC8301
10-30-2003, 10:29 AM
Its not a matter of switching or using only one. They compliment each other. A PC can be used on newer finishes with not a lot of paint defects. For more serious defects I use the rotary. The PC can be used to finesse the job (like a fine polish or glaze.)

This is kind of a bad analogy, but a rotary is a rifle tackling down the big jobs, a PC is like a pistol to do the small jobs, and if both jams or are not needed, there is always the hand.

I have used a PC for 2 years, after a while I just needed a rotary. A PC can do what a rotary does with the right product, technique, and LOTS of time.

Most quality, pro polishes are actually meant to be applied by rotary (Meguiar`s, 3M, Malco, Pro, Ardex, etc. etc.) Then lighter polishes can be used with PC (or a strong polish/compound may also be used.)

I use my rotary now on most cars to take out most/all defects, then use the PC to finesse the finish to a perfect shine. Then a hand rub down if I have time.

10-30-2003, 12:07 PM
thanks jason, that was a help. theres so much stuff to chose from you could go bankrupt dring all the things until you get it right.

hondaguy2582
10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 2000

I`ve used rotery buffer for a couple of years now, mainly doing my own and family vehicles. it seems most of you perfer pc over rotery. It also seems most quality polishes can`t be applyed with rotery anyway. should I switch to pc?

When you say polishes that can`t be applied by rotary, your basically talking about glazes. You can apply glazes and polishes like smr by hand if you desire. If your skilled at a rotary, then there is no need to get the pc. I have both, i find each has their own benefits and downfalls. The only downfall with the pc is it takes time, with the rotary, you can burn through the paint if you don`t know what your doing, and it requies practice whereas the pc doesn`t. If a vehicle is pretty swirled, I will not even bother with the pc, I switch right to the makita with fi2 and a white or yellow foam pad to get most defects out.

10-30-2003, 01:48 PM
thanks for the reply....not to worried about burning paint as I have made that mistake a long while back........it was a learning expereince to say the least. I had a single arsenal of a light compound, a polish and a wax which untill I REALLY started to enjoy and get into this seemed ok. now I relized I didn`t have a clue. to add to my confussion I now own a black vehicle. everyone you wants to say I`m wrong feel free........I`m using a rotery with white foam pads and going from megs #83, than#9, than #3, followed by # 26. (by hand on the #26) I relly enjoyed the help that I recieved from megs so I`d perfer to stay in there product line unless some one can convince me other wise. please no arm twisting, I have enought stuff in my garage that I won`t use, (i hope there is a few more of you that can say that). :confused:

please inform me on other Ideas. thank you all!