PDA

View Full Version : PC Counterweights?

Pages : [1] 2

vaca222
10-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Just ordered a PC that should be here in about 1 day (According the tracking number! :D ) and I had one quick question...

Over the course of time I`ve heard people mention something about counterweights for the PC...can someone explain this?

TIA!

imported_kgb
10-30-2003, 10:45 AM
They sell them at www.properautocare.com . You use counter weights for different size and weight pads. Porper Auto Care explains it all.

jeremyp111
10-30-2003, 10:49 AM
The PC comes with a counterweight that is designed for the pad that comes with it (5"). Most people don`t use that pad and opt for the velcro backed 6" backing plate and use pads from meguiars, 3m, lake country, etc. There are mixed feelings about needing to change to the 6" counterweight when going with the 6" backing plate. Others and myself have found it to reduce the vibration at higher speeds so I use the 6" counterweight. AND it`s recommended by Porter Cable. Others just use the 5" counterweight that comes with it. They sell for about $3 so it`s cheap enough to just change it IMO.

Jeremy

Jesstzn
10-30-2003, 10:49 AM
Note that most buffing pads are 6" in diameter, and thus, your PC should have a 6" counterweight. Some will argue that the 5" counterweight is fine for 6" pad use, however, it`s found to be untrue. The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5" weight and a 6" pad are nearly unacceptable. Further, a representative for PCconfirms that the increased vibrations can lead to bearing damage within the PC`s drive assembly. Do yourself a favor and use the right counterweight for the job.

FlyNavy
10-30-2003, 10:50 AM
If you bought from Coastal Tool, you will get a #5 and #6 counterweight in the package. Change them with a #15 Torx driver. The counterweight is necessary because of the orbital motion of the pad. The bigger the pad, the more counterweight.

vaca222
10-30-2003, 11:03 AM
You guys are awesome, thanks!

Jesstzn
10-30-2003, 11:06 AM
We know .. :o

hondaguy2582
10-30-2003, 11:31 AM
The pc will still vibrate at a higher speed no matter what counter weight you really use, it just is a little less with a 6" counter weight and a 6" pad then say a 5" cw and a 5" pad. Its really more effective when you are using it say at lower speeds of 4.5 where you can`t feel much at all. But if you do not have it, i wouldn`t even bother getting another one unless you have money to burn.

GearHead_1
10-30-2003, 12:13 PM
The PC cable is sold under several different part numbers depending upon which kit you order. Some of the kits come with cases, sanding gear (including vaccum hoses etc.) others come with just the PC and a 1 buffing pad. I believe that the 7424 kit is an inexpensive version that comes with the 6" counter weight set. :D

togwt
10-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Gearhead_1 you` re right when you say that the PC comes in different P/T (PC 7424 5" pad/counterweight, PC7336 6" pad /counterweight, this one is the `sander` version)

GearHead_1
10-30-2003, 03:40 PM
Help me out here. Most of the ads I`ve read indicate that the 7424 stock number is the 6" set up. Does this mean that just the pad is 6" or is the counter weight is set up to match? I think that the 5" products are #97355 and #7335. The reason for my interest is that I have a 7424 and I was under the impression that it was a 6" counter weight set up. Thanks in advance.

Here`s an example of one of the ads I`m looking at.

Porter-Cable 7424 6" Variable Speed Random Orbit Polisher

The Porter Cable polisher incorporates a random, swirl-free polishing action that will not scratch or burn the paint or clear coat, only Porter-Cable has a polisher that is this easy and very safe to use.

Features of Porter Cable 7424 :

* 3.7 Amps, AC only

* Electronic variable speed 2,500-6,000 OPM

* Random, swirl-free polishing action

* Spiral/bevel gears

* 100% ball bearings

Standard Equipment: Polishing pad, wrench, and Porter Cable 7424 operating manual.

SK2003TypeS
10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Gearhead,

Where did you see this ad ? "the 6" setup" sounds like the 6" counter weight and 6" velchro backing plate. Which is what you get at Coastal tool for a good price.

Did I read you right ?

GearHead_1
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
I didn`t buy mine here but the description was the same. I bought mine from Amazon a while ago, they had a promotion going it was actually $110 (beats the heck out of Meguiar`s or Griot`s pricing). I bought a couple of accesories at the time and shipping was free. I know that they are advertised for more than this now. You read me right I was just questioning the statement that the 7424 was actually the 5" set up in a previous post. Here`s the link for this description.

http://store.yahoo.com/porter-cable/porcab746var.html

Here`s another one.

http://www.portercable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805

I just want to throw my 2 cents in on this product. I`ve used a bunch of different auto chemicals (most of the popular and some not so popular) over the years and for the most part settled with Meguairs Proffesional line. These products are really pretty easy to apply and I questioned the value of a D/A Orbital Buffer while using Meguairs products. This thing is the best thing since sliced bread and made my routine even easier. I really like it.

SK2003TypeS
10-30-2003, 06:57 PM
oh, kool. Yeah, the PC makes it more enjoyable.

I like Meg`s line too. :)

Nick@DParadise
10-31-2003, 04:25 PM
The 7424 ships from Porter Cable with a weight for a 5" pad. There are no exceptions. If you look at your weight, it should say something along the line of "Use 6" (5") pad only." The company you purchased from may have replaced the 5" weight with the 6", but only you can tell.

Hope that helps.