PDA

View Full Version : taking on a 97 F150, extremely filthy

airjames
10-29-2003, 12:50 AM
good friend of the family is going to be in town for visits. She knows I detail cars and she wants me to do her F150. It`s a black 4x4 reg cab long bed. She`s never waxed and it has been washed but only a few times her and there at the automatic, no brush though. I`m not so much concerned about the exterior as I am the interior. I`ve seen the interior of this thing, it is beyond the point of filthy, disguisting!! Buddy of mine suggested removing the seats and power washing the carpet. I can see the floor mats maybe, but 1700 psi in the cab!?!?! I think not. I don`t have the luxury of owning a pressure washer either, just the cities local car washes. I was thinking an alternative,,,,,,,vaccum, hot water with Dawn or Citri Gel Mutl Cleaner and brush with rags to rinse. I don`t have the know how to remove the seats but I think we can work around them with no problem.

So my plan of attach for the interior is this.

1.) Vaccum

2.) Hot water with Meguiars Citri Gel Cleaner and stiff brush

3.) old white towels to rinse and remove excess water

4.) Vaccum

What would you guys suggest???? This carpet is black everywhere and never had any means of cleaning before, just vaccuming here and there. Thanks a mill,,,,,91

Kleanride
10-29-2003, 07:29 AM
Sounds like you are on the right track to me! Warm water with Dawn (or Citri Gel) and a brush & rags will break up a lot of crap.

I am assuming you are planning on using 303 or Natural Shine or something when all is said and done?

DaGonz
10-29-2003, 08:24 AM
What color is the interior? I am guessing either gray or desert tan.

You might be better off getting an aftermarket replacement carpet rather than waste time and energy on reviving the old one. Chances are, the dirt and scum have matted down the carpet fibers to the point of "no return".

Kleanride
10-29-2003, 09:31 AM
Hey F-150, have you any pics of this masterpiece?

Vincent Vega
10-29-2003, 01:10 PM
The hot water/suck it up with a shop vac method works great. I use a Bissell Little Green that does basically the same thing. I just did a 1988 olds that had a huge black stiff stain on the carpet. Hot soapy water- soak-brush-suck it up. Repeat as needed. Turned out great. Good luck.

airjames
10-29-2003, 04:19 PM
Dale,

No I don`t have any pics of the truck. When I detail it I will take before & after pics.

Gonzo,

Replacing the carpet would probably be the best route to go but I don`t have the know how or tools to do it. All I can really is just hot water, soap and good old fashion elbow grease. Tks,,,,91