PDA

View Full Version : Will a Makita BO5012K work?

B-NIS
10-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Hi. I am looking for a somewhat cheap orbital polisher. I found the Makita BO5012K sander for a good price. The reason I am looking at it is because of its size. I want to be able to operate one with one hand. From what I found out, it is 2 amps, variable 4000-12000 OPM speed, and holds 5" discs. Are there any pads that will fit this, and velcro backing plates? Or is there another decent "palm" polisher that will be sufficient?

Thanks

B-NIS
10-28-2003, 06:48 PM
BTW, I am also looking at the WEN 4" polisher at TopOfTheLine, but don`t know if it will be powerful enough.

imported_brerpie
10-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Right on. I`m wondering about the same thing you are!

shaf
10-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I`m pretty sure that a few people have attempted this, and I believe there is at least one member who has reported some success in using a "palm" style sander to replace the Porter Cable.

Have you tried searching for the model number or even just the word "makita" or "bosch" (the other choice)?

B-NIS
10-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Yeah I tried the searches. I only found 1 thread that someone actually had experience. He said it was nice for wax cause it was small enough to dip in the can, but if I remember correctly, he didn`t think it was powerful enough to remove swirls. I think that was the WEN model, which is 4".

I couldn`t find any others that were helpful, or had any information on the palm Makita`s or Bosch`s. Also, those two are 5", and I don`t know if they make pads for it.

If it comes down to it, maybe I will save for the PC7336, but I don`t think I need something that big just for me.

Thanks

Jesstzn
10-28-2003, 10:13 PM
I bought a Simoniz cordless that takes 4" + 6" .. works best on 4" .. good if your doing casual detailing .. if the cars are bad for swirls etc .. you need a 7336 .. but its great for wax application and easy with 1 hand. I have used it with the Menzerna polishes .. worked fine with them.