PDA

View Full Version : How Much DACP to Use? Thin or Thick Layer?

phil7533
10-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Hey guys,

I used DACP for the first time last night on my dads trunk, it came out ok, but not perfect..

How much do I use?

Enough for a thin layer, or a thick layer... I think I used too much because it took 3 MF towels to buff the trunk alone?

Also, I was afraid to go any higher than 1 on the PC 7424... what number is safe.... 3, 4??

2wheelsx2
10-28-2003, 04:10 PM
It has a diminishing abrasive. You should go no lower than 4 or 5. I usually use 6. It`s not a filler product, you don`t layer it. Use a nickel size dabs, or whatever you need to work it in properly. When you finish working it, there should be a just a little bit of powder residue left. If you are wiping off with 3 MF`s, the DACP didn`t even break down. That`s why your results were poor. Do a little bit of searching on the use of the PC and abrasives. You`ll get much more detailed answers than I have discussed here.

phil7533
10-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Thanks.

One thing though, I was using the Burgundy Meguiars Pad, so even though the DACP has diminishing abrasives, couldnt the Pad alone be too aggressive if I turned it up to 4 or 5..

shaf
10-28-2003, 09:02 PM
You`d use the burgundy (cutting) pad if you have some more serious work to do. I`d try the yellow (polishing) pad first though, it might surprise you.

Personally I get some hazing when I use the cutting pad with DACP. I would have to follow it up with some swirl remover or something to clean that up.

Yes, it sounds like you used too much. People usually do it a section at a time, like 1/2 or 1/3 of a trunk, a 1/4 of a hood, etc. and buff it off as they finish each section. You just have to use enough so you have product to work the section. Too little and it`ll dry out too fast and you don`t have enough product. Too much and you end up with a mess and it doesn`t have a chance to break down.

biff
10-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

You`d use the burgundy (cutting) pad if you have some more serious work to do. I`d try the yellow (polishing) pad first though, it might surprise you.

Personally I get some hazing when I use the cutting pad with DACP. I would have to follow it up with some swirl remover or something to clean that up.

I`ve never had hazing problems with the burgundy pad, unless any water gets into the equation. Then things can get messy and hard to remove. I guess I`ve just been lucky so far.

I get good results by doing 1/4 of a panel with 4 small drops (smaller than a pea, each). Starting by spreading it around with the PC is off. Then a couple passes at 3.5 then all the way to 6 until it powders. There usually isn`t much left to buff off after that.

I agree with everyone that less is more with DACP, and don`t be afraid to crank the speed as it will help break it down.