PDA

View Full Version : DACP oppertunity

Pages : [1] 2

Jesstzn
10-28-2003, 01:07 PM
A nice Autopian, I won`t say his name (Deanski) sent me a sample of DACP because I was having trouble finding #51 up here aand he sent me some of that too and threw the DACP in . I hadn`t had an opportunity to try it out as my Black VW Passat is swirlless and Zainoed.

Well Yesterday I had to leave the car at the dealers for 3 days for a warranty issue and the dealer ( VW/Audi) dealer gave me a 03 Audi A4 Black on Black leather to use ( Another case of squeaky wheel gets the grease .. or Squawky b*tch gets the wheels).

The paint on the car is a mess .. car itself is awesome.. So I called the dealer and asked if he would object if I did some detaing on it and was going to try a new product. He said no prob.. they have the car scheduled for a repaint as its the end of the model year.

As I don`t have a PC I used my woosie lil Zimoniz Cordless orbital and the white foam pads that come with it for the DACP.

15 minutes and the hood was swirl free and only deeper scratches were visable. I then used 3m SMR for dark cars and topped it with #26 cuz it hides better .. The results were astonishing. Prolly be better if I had a PC and propper pads.

I continued on with the rest of the car from the belt line up just for practice.

3 hours later .. here is the results .. Pix is lousy as it is raining and overcast.

BTW this car has one of those Invisable Bras that are the plastic film stuck to the paint. There has been postings about how to get the crud out of the adhesive at the edges .. Rubbing Alcohol works and doesn`t effect the adhesive..

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/21459/p/546307_804909369554629343_vl.jpg

jeremyp111
10-28-2003, 02:19 PM
Hey, now that`s a good idea to get test subjects! I`m scheduled to get a RX300 loaner for a day or two when I drop mine off tomorrow! I`ll break out the rotary and try some of Megs most aggressive stuff for practice. Think they`ll mind? :o

Car looks good. Nice job.

Jeremy

Jesstzn
10-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by jeremyp111

Hey, now that`s a good idea to get test subjects! I`m scheduled to get a RX300 loaner for a day or two when I drop mine off tomorrow! I`ll break out the rotary and try some of Megs most aggressive stuff for practice. Think they`ll mind? :o

Car looks good. Nice job.

Jeremy

Think they will mind .. they won`t even notice .. outside of the car being cleaner then when it left..

jeremyp111
10-28-2003, 02:35 PM
If I get time I really am going to give the hood of the loaner a good detail with some of the products I haven`t tried yet. 3m SMR and VM.

JustinR32
10-28-2003, 05:57 PM
LOL, I drive demos all the time; it`s usually all I can stand to not sit down with the tools and detail the daylights out of them. People at work would think that I was psychotic if I did that, so I don`t.

Tom

Deanski
10-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Jesstzn,

See, that DACP is kinda like a wonder polish! You have to see what it does with a PC! Glad to know you are enjoying this stuff!

Better yet, get a rotary, start with Megs SWP to get swirls out, then switch to a PC with DACP. Now that combo just is fantastic!

Follow the DACP with #81 (Hand Polish) and boy is it nice!

As for clear bras, yep, wax/polish always a pain to get out, but I soak a boars hair brush in alcohol to remove it. Otherwise, I tape if off with blue painters tape if I don`t have my 3M paint tape on hand.

The dealer better be happy, in fact he better pay you or at least thow in some free oil changes, tire rotations etc!

Regards,

Deanski

fidelfs
10-28-2003, 09:41 PM
The dealer will think twice to have the paint job. It looks like new.

:xyxthumbs

xenangel
10-29-2003, 07:00 AM
I have DACP and #81 hand polish plus a rotary Makita 9227C.

Is it possible to remove swirls by skipping SMR and straight to #81? How can i avoid adding more swirls using DACP?? Been practicing but still cant get the hang of it. Am i going too fast, should i go slow and using a finishing pad instead of a cutting pad?

And when using #81, should i add alot of pressure or just moderate pressure? I did my friend front bumper, the paint was chipped and alot of crap stuck on it, so i took #81 and give it a good rubbing and manage to make it brand new. But if looked closely i could see the imperfections.

So is #81 a good alternative to SMR?? Any comments guys??

Thanks alot!!

Deanski
10-29-2003, 08:16 AM
xenangel,

If you have a Makita 9227C, you best way to remove swirls is to use Megs SMR or you could use DACP either with a polishing pad. The DACP is more aggressive in cutting, but breaks down to a polish as it dries.

Once swirls are gone, use the #81 with a finish pad and if you have a PC, better off with that to remove any buffer marks left over from the 9227C. If not, you can still use the finish pad on the 9227C, just go a bit slower and do not let it dry, work it wet.

Wipe off and you should now have a swirl free finish with a stunning shine!

Regards,

Deanski

DaGonz
10-29-2003, 08:33 AM
I find a lot of irony in this thread...

People willing to detail loaner cars from their dealer and make them swirl free.....

Meanwhile, back in the wash bay at the dealership, their "detailer" is installing fresh swirls in the cars they dropped off for service....

:grrr :wall :grrr :wall :grrr :wall

Jake11375
10-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Great work! Now you just ave to make sure it doesn`t see any rain before you get it back. I`d like to see what the dealer has to say about that new paint after your detail work. :up :up

Jesstzn
10-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo0903

I find a lot of irony in this thread...

People willing to detail loaner cars from their dealer and make them swirl free.....

Meanwhile, back in the wash bay at the dealership, their "detailer" is installing fresh swirls in the cars they dropped off for service....

:grrr :wall :grrr :wall :grrr :wall

Mine was left with SOLID instructions not to wash it .. also I wasn`twilling to do it .. like I did them a favour.. I used theirs as a testing grounds for something I had not used before instead messing up on mine. I detailed a car last week from the same dealer .. brand new 04 black jetta .. full of shallow swirls .. see my post under click and brag.. They are aware of the issues cuz when I picked this one up the owner said they are reviewing their practices.. hahahahaha righttttttttttt.

10-30-2003, 12:22 PM
this has been great info for me, but deanski this "rookie" is alittle confused....wouldn`t you do the dacp frist and than a sr? I`m working with a black vehicle that is driving the prefectionist in me crazy. thank everyone.

Deanski
10-30-2003, 07:26 PM

If you use a PC, then YES, do DACP 1st, then SFP.

If using a rotary, it`s opposite due to cutting ability of a rotary. You always go to the lower polish prior to a heavy cleaner/polish with the rotary. Rotary polishers generate heat, and a lot of it in short time!

With a PC, it cannot generate enough heat like a rotary, so a good cutting pad and DACP always works well for tuff swirls. If swirls are light, switch to a polish pad. Cutting pads/DACP tend to create a haze. Which is removed by SFP or #9 or 3M PIII-MG and a white polish pad.

For a PC, the best pads I`ve found are those "finger" pads as I call them. CMA has them. They cut very well, do not load up and seem to assist the PC in some way as opposed to a standard pad.

For that final really glossy look, put a grey or beige Megs finish pad on and use #81 Hand Polish. You want to talk shinny? This is a pure polish, no abrasives.

Then, wax away!

Regards,

Deanski

10-31-2003, 08:09 AM
Deanski,

I can`t thank you enough for your help.......I only have a rotery and now it looks as if I`m going to have to break down and finnally get a pc.

Is the point of using a lighter polish first and than a heavy polish just so you don`t over work the paint? or am I still missing the point? my mind keeps saying the heavy stuff would take away what you aready did with the lighter stuff, obviously you guys know far more than I do, I`m just trying to learn how and why.

here was my plan of attack (with a rotary). first clay, than dacp, than #9, (I`ll be switching that now, thank you.), than #3, than #26. (by hand). please feel free to rip it apart. would I notice that much difference if I bought a Pc and took #3 out and put #81 in?

once again thanks for the help.