PDA

View Full Version : 1998 benz.....clear coat?????

fonseca_323i
10-28-2003, 09:07 AM
I have a Black 1998 Mercedes that I will be detailing. First of all does any one know if this car is clear coated? The paint has not been waxed in several years and has been washed here and there. The paint is still glossy and I have noticed that it is showing signs of light oxidation. The products that I have right now that I have used on newer vehicles are Blackfire clay, polish, and paint sealant. Will BF polish be aggressive enough to tackle this job or should I step it up a notch? Which product or products do you recommend for this application and that will work well the BF that I already have? I will be using a PC and I have grey and white pads. Will I need yellow or orange pads as well?

Brad B
10-28-2003, 01:48 PM
I don`t know if the car is clearcoated. Do a test rub anywhere and if you get off any color then you have your answer.

I don`t have enough info to tell you what pads to use. I suggest you do a search on the subject to get a general idea of how the process works.

I would guess that you are going to want to use yellow pads to start and you are likely going to need a compound or swirl mark remover to bring back the luster before you apply any wax or sealant.

I hate to say it, but really, there are some excellent threads on this subject in great detail. Then when you get to the specific questions, ask away and you will get a lot of people helping you out. :wavey

chris0626
10-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Like Brad said, do some reading to get the basics down. Click on the "Learn" icon, and read thru relevant threads in the Autopia Univ and Detailing forums. Once you get more specific questions, we can give you much more specific guidance. :up