PDA

View Full Version : Zaino virgin

6cyl's_of_fury
10-27-2003, 06:36 AM
First up, I am pretty new to "ultra finicky" detailing. I`ve used Megs ( hand applied ) in the past with good success but have decided, with the help of the persauisive views on this site, to step into the big leagues with my latest new car ( black Ford XR6 - not a well known car in the US so I will post pics when I get a chance ). Hence I splashed out on a Zaino kit ( which aint cheap here down under @ ~US$155 so it had better rock my world! ) and I`m eagerly awaiting its arrival.

So my questions are:

1. Would hand application of the Zaino be adequate for a great finish or would I notice an appreciable difference with machine application? Particularly as I have never done a machine application but have a friend who could do it for me.

2. Would you recommend a carnauba topper and if so, which is "best" for black?

3. Removal of the wax topper without disrupting the Zaino base coat or damaging / marring it - difficult or simple?

Thanks.

:cool:

Lowejackson
10-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Welcome to Autopia :up

In answer to your questions

1. Zaino can be applied by hand with no problems, there are many many references to the recoemmened techniques, use the search button or look at the Zaino site itself.

2. This is a personal choice. I would firstly just use Zaino and see how much you like the results and then decide if you want to add wax

3. No problem removing wax if you wish to reapply more Zaino.

fidelfs
10-27-2003, 08:02 AM
:welcome to Autopia

1. The machine could help you to apply a thin coat of Zaino. It won`t make a different in looks. Zaino is made to be apply by hand.

Products that require a machine for its application needs heat to work. The machine and friction will give the heat. Zaino does not need heat to work.

2. Personal choice. I like P21S, Souveran works good in dark colors.

I have found some Zaino users prefer a Z5 over Z2 in black cars. They use Z5 only or Z5 as last layer. It gives a better shine and deep, wet look. Try it before you apply the wax coat to see if you like it.

Wax will make your car shine look deeper and have the wet look.

3. If you want to remove the wax coat you will have to dawn wash the car. Dawn will remove the wax without having any effect in Zaino.

Enjoy your journey!!! :wavey

:xyxthumbs

Deanski
10-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Here is a good "tips" sheet on Zaino you may want to read and print.

Nick`s Zaino Tips (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Zaino+tips)

As for topping Zaino, P21s/S100 or if money is no issue, Souveran Paste. That`s what`s on my SC430 now... Souveran.

If you get any haze or streaks after Z5 application/wipe-off, mix up 1/2 cap of Z7 wash with 12oz distilled water. Spray the effected area and wipe off. No streaks! Continue with your next coat and for better results, after you solved the streaks, lightly spray it with Z6 and wipe off, then apply your next coat. You can do up to three coats in a day, all Z5 combo Z5/Z2 or all Z2 it`s up to you. If you have ZFX, best to mix the Z5 or Z2 really well before adding any amount to the smaller 2oz bottles. Then, add the drops of ZFX in the bottle which has Z5 or Z2, shake it REALLY well. Put it down for several minutes (good time to do the Z6 spray at that point) then start applying Zaino VERY VERY THIN!!! It should be had to see when you apply it.

You can remove wax by Dawn, alcohol/water or Megs APC+ diluted 64:1.

Regards,

Deanski

raymond_ho2002
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
I`ve topped 1/2 of a black zaino`ed car with s100. I couldn`t tell the difference on a sunny day.. Neither could other people who I asked if they noticed anything different between the two sides.

fidelfs
10-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Look to this pictures:

Before (Just Zaino)

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12126dsc00751.jpg

After (Top with P21S)

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/12126dsc00754.jpg

The red is darker, lost some shine but has more wet look.

imported_Intermezzo
10-27-2003, 01:00 PM
fidelfs,

The red does look darker, but so does the brick wall, your cement driveway, and the color of the grass. ;) IMO, if you like how your car looks with a carnauba topper, then you`ll LOVE how it looks if you replace your Z with a glaze......

6 cycles, if you wish to use carnauba, just stick with carnauba with no Zaino base. I`ve tried varying combinations of carnauba, Zaino, Zaino w/topper....and my conclusions are, 1) If you like the clear, reflective look of Z, just use Z and add layers whenever you have the time. If you like the depth and warmth of a carnauba, then don`t use Z as a base as its clear, glossy properties will only `detract` from the deep, jetting shine you get from carnauba. Stick with a glaze as a base for your wax for the ultimate in depth and wetness in shine.

If you have your heart set on using a sealant + carnauba combo, I would use either Klasse or Platinum instead of Zaino.

fidelfs
10-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Actually I am not using Zaino anymore. It has some good properties but for some reason I rather stick with carnauba.

This is my car now with Clearkote and P21S.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1569Perfect_shine_3.jpg

bigpoppa
10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

I`ve topped 1/2 of a black zaino`ed car with s100. I couldn`t tell the difference on a sunny day.. Neither could other people who I asked if they noticed anything different between the two sides.

I`ve topped Zaino several times with Pinnacle Souveran and noticed little to no difference. IMO - try both, see which one you prefer and use one or the other.

Jesstzn
10-27-2003, 10:52 PM
6cyl .. one thing to keep in mind with the Z5 .. make SURE your applying in a str8 line .. not circular .. it will have a definate impact on your end results.

Also for a topper I have used #26 a) cuz I had it .. b) cuz P21S and Pinnacle are out of my price range ..

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/21459/p/459258_8290860606930799728_vl.jpg

6cyl's_of_fury
10-28-2003, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all of the above. As promised, a pic of my ride ( not bad for a company car! ). Please disregard the lack of shine as I am still waiting for my Zaino!

bri
11-07-2003, 11:01 AM
is that the new legacy??

GoodnClean
11-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Nope thats a Ford XR6.

We dont get any of the cool Fords here lol

chris0626
11-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Deanski

You can remove wax by Dawn, alcohol/water or Megs APC+ diluted 64:1.

IIRC, the alcohol/water mix is for removing the Zaino; I`d use Dawn for stripping just the wax.