PDA

View Full Version : Out of 3M

explorer
10-26-2003, 07:10 PM
I am planing on detailing my engine next weekend and while looking through my supplies(making sure I have all I need) I found myself out of 3M RUBBER TREATMENT.

I have Mothers Preserve Protectant but it is not good on the hoses.

What product over the counter can I buy that would be as good as 3M, 3M is hard to find around here.

Also I would like to spray some wax on the engine compartment, which should I use that is heat resistent?:spot

jeremyp111
10-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Meguiars #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner and Protectant. You can get this at just about any auto parts store. I got mine from VIP.

Jeremy

chris0626
10-27-2003, 08:33 PM
I haven`t yet tried waxing in the engine bay. I think I`ve read here (in various contexts) that wax is not going to stand up to the temperatures that the engine generates; it`ll just melt. So if/when I do it, I figure I`ll use a polymer sealant instead. Also, I think lots of folks use a QD on the metal components to get them shiny.

For the hoses and other rubber, I`d be inclined to use Gummipflege if I`m concerned about long-term protection. But on the daily-driver, this month I used Mothers Preserve; so far, it seems to be looking good to me. Haven`t yet had a chance to try #40.

I`m sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Bill D
10-27-2003, 10:01 PM
303 for the plastic parts and the hoses, works outstanding for me :up