PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about which buffer pad is best?

Maxima91
10-26-2003, 05:34 PM
i was just wondering what is the best type of pad to use. i bought a 6 inch orbital buffer and it comes with terry bonnets, are these safe to us and are they scratch free?

also, ive been told to apply polishers and waxes in lines and buff in lines.. is this true? or is it best to do it in circles? if anyone can give some opinions, that would be great, thanks

Maxima99

BlueZ71
10-26-2003, 10:11 PM
see newbie questions threasd

LouisanaJeeper
10-26-2003, 11:28 PM
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/detailing/forum.php?postid=1430487&page=1

togwt
10-27-2003, 08:11 AM
“i was just wondering what is the best type of pad to use. i bought a 6 inch orbital buffer and it comes with terry bonnets, are these safe to us and are they scratch free?â€

Dependent upon what there made of (my guess is some sort of nylon) if there made of anything but 100% cotton they will scratch your paint. 6†Microfiber (bonnet type) are available from Cassic Motoring Accessories (VPC-6BON).

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect

chris0626
10-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Maxima91

i was just wondering what is the best type of pad to use. i bought a 6 inch orbital buffer and it comes with terry bonnets, are these safe to us and are they scratch free?

What kind of "orbital buffer"? Is it the Porter-Cable (or equivalent) random-orbital buffer?

The Roadfly article cited above is a great one for tips about the various pads and bonnets; so is the one that 4DSC has in his sig line. Check `em out. :up

also, ive been told to apply polishers and waxes in lines and buff in lines.. is this true? or is it best to do it in circles? if anyone can give some opinions, that would be great, thanks

If you`re using a RO, then "lines" and "circles" is really meaningless; those concepts are mostly relevant to hand application. Which do you plan to use? The Roadfly article talks about the patterns to use when applying with a RO buffer.

Maxima91
10-28-2003, 12:46 AM
well, i just have a 20 dollar buffer from wallmart, and it doesnt seem to do shat for my car, i saw teh PC and it looked great, but i just dont know about spending 130 bucks for something i have no exp with and i dont wana screw my paint up.

when it comes down to it, i guess i can live with my swirl marks, they arent that bad and can only been seen at night, wheni get my next newer car soon, i will prob invest in a PC and learn to use it, until then, i guess ill stay away from my crapy buffer and hand do it, thanks for the info, and sorry about the bump :D

one last quick question tho, is it possible to hand polish or use swirl remover by hand and get any swirls out? wiping off by hand afterword? do they come back after a wash or two? thanks..

Maxima99

LouisanaJeeper
10-28-2003, 12:51 AM
yup, it can be done by hand or with lesser buffers, it just takes longer to do

Accumulator
10-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Maxima91- If I were you, I`d bite the bullet and get the PC ASAP. Practice on your current car so you`ll be experienced when you get a newer one. You might even decide to KEEP your current car after you see how nice you can get it. Just my $0.02...

butchdave
10-28-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Maxima91- If I were you, I`d bite the bullet and get the PC ASAP. Practice on your current car so you`ll be experienced when you get a newer one. You might even decide to KEEP your current car after you see how nice you can get it. Just my $0.02...

Yes! What Accumulator said! :)

If you are afraid of ruining the paint, do it on this car! But, of course you won`t with a PC - buy it and improve this car.

beastie
10-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Get the PC, practice on your old car and get some experience with the it. You`ll either like your car better or increase the trade in value by a good amount by making it look good. The increase in value could pay for the PC!