PDA

View Full Version : Help! Getting my truck painted.

imported_theamcguy
10-26-2003, 12:38 PM
First off, it`s been a loooong time since I have posted here. But, I always come back to the plce that I saw the path to perfect car care. Now, my problem. i have a rust spot on my roof at the corner where the winshield weather stripping (not sure if thats what is called) meets the roof. The end wasn`t capped and the metal put a gouge in the roof and it started to rust. The area is about the size of a quarter. thankfully the job is covered under warranty so I don`t have to pay for it. But here`s where I need the help. When they are done with my truck at the dealership I am assuming that they are going to wash my black truck. I would MUCH prefeer to do this myself, but if there is bondo, paint dust, etc, on the paint, is there a special soap they have to use to get it off? The service rep. told me that they use wash mitts and it is all done by hand and that the last thing they want is to scratch my truck. they also aid that they use chamois to dry the vehicle:nono . I have no problem telling them that I`ll do it when I get home, but if they leave it out in the lot, then it rains, then the sun drys it with all that dust on there....i don`t know if it will damage anything. Guys, I need your advice. Thanks!

shaf
10-28-2003, 02:23 AM
As far as I know, bodyshops don`t use anything special for washing. You could tell them not to wash the truck I suppose. I imagine that when they`re working on it they would only be wetting and washing the area they`re working on, and not go and wash the entire vehicle top to bottom. I`m not sure though, that`s just my guess.