PDA

View Full Version : how do i clean an "anodized" rim?

kepani
10-26-2003, 10:00 AM
i have a set of volk racing te-37. the spokes have a "rough" finish to them. these rims are anodized versus your normal polished/powercoated rim.

my question: does anyone have any tips and adivice on how to clean these? it seems that the brake dust is still embedded in the rough surface and give the rim a blue hue (the pad material is a dark blue).

i`ve tried using p21s (high performance wheel cleaner) but to no avail. maybe i`m not using a strong enough concentration? in addition, i`ve used a semisoft wheel brush to scrub at them. they are still "dirty".

below is an image of the rims for reference.

http://www.pbase.com/image/22667193.jpg

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CharlesW
10-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Not to be a wiseguy, but have you checked with the manufacturer for their recommendation?

Aluminum wheels can be screwed up pretty easily by using the wrong products. Many of the wheel cleaners have a pretty high acid content which isn`t necessarily good for all finishes.

Charles:wavey

Accumulator
10-26-2003, 12:37 PM
What CharlesW said :xyxthumbs Check with the manufacturer. Anodizing is actually a rather fragile thing, and it cannot be repaired. Even "mil-spec", "hard" anodizing isn`t all that tough (I had it on my Mallett`s HRE wheels). *I* wouldn`t go any stronger than AIO, and I`d be pretty careful with that.

*I* wouldn`t try a citrus-based cleaner on anodizing unless I knew it was SPECIFICALLY OK`ed by the manufacturer.

P21s and Griot`s Wheel Cleaner work fine (i.e., SAFELY) on anodizing, but they aren`t always strong enough for really embedded pad deposits. Remember to let it "dwell" on the surface for a while, but don`t let it dry. Try rubbing GENTLY with a MF, keeping things wet with the cleaner.

Once you get them clean, really SEAL them with something like Klasse (multiple layers of SG) so future deposits are in the SEALANT rather than the anodizing. And don`t let them get/stay too dirty. The trick with anodizing is to NOT let it too bad in the first place. Heh heh, NOW I tell you :o

thegeek
10-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Oh god... major droolage over here. I absolutely love those wheels. My favorite wheel of all time, with mine coming in a close second. Awesome rims. Sorry I couldn`t help with cleaning them though.

dshaw
10-26-2003, 04:59 PM
*Drool* Love those wheels and tires too! Wish I had that kinda money. :) I wish I could give you help, but I`ve haven`t dealt with anything anodized before either.

zorba
11-22-2003, 05:57 PM
You may want to investigate trying something like 303 Aerospace Cleaner or Eimann Fabrik Hi Intensity Cleaner. Both are concentrates that you dilute according to the application. Hi Intensity label says not to use full strength on anodized or polished aluminum wheels, dilute 3 parts water to 1 part cleaner.

gez
11-22-2003, 07:31 PM
Nice wheels! Wouldnt mind a set of those for my Skyline

armoredsaint
11-22-2003, 07:55 PM
the best way and least harmful is car wash shampoo and a good mitt.

kepani
11-22-2003, 08:27 PM
thanks everyone for your input. i`m going to contact the manufacturer (volk/rays engineering) to see what their directions are on cleaning.

yes, i love these wheels too!:D thanks for the compliments. i was able to get them used for a good price. now that i`m taking the car to the road course, the rims are subjected to more brake dust than usual.

i`ve cleaned them twice since they were filthy and they look much better. but there is still a hue of blue if i look very closely. i know...show car. :p

! apmljv
11-23-2003, 03:18 AM
kepnai, if you find out the answer from Rays, could you possibily post it here?

I got a set of Rays GramLights 57F, and I think the it`s surface is about the same as thos TE37, so I`m guessing it should be the same way of cleaning them.

Thanks

forrest@mothers
11-23-2003, 10:52 AM
I wouldn`t use anything but soap and water on them, although a clay bar with lots of lube might be okay a couple times a year.

Anodizing is very fragile, despite it`s hardness. Once you nick it, it can`t be repaired, only replaced.