PDA

View Full Version : DACP or 3M SMR for dark colors

imported_Brett K
10-23-2003, 04:17 PM
I was wondering what everone prefered. They seem to be pretty close in abrasiveness. Based on my experiences with both products. I like the 3M 39009 better. I found it easier to apply with the PC and take off. I also like the fact that it is darker so it is more noticeable on the vehicle. The DACP is harder to spot if there is a little product left that needs to be removed.

Discuss....

imported_memnuts
10-23-2003, 04:44 PM
I love the DACP on all my driven vehicles - 2 black and one metallic silver ( daily driver). I start with DACP and followed with menzerna IP and FP for my black vehicles. Wonderful combination on black. Silver is soooo easy to care for that a quick DACP is all that is needed.

I have 3M P-It-III MG and SMR for dark cars but only use on friends and family vehicles to use up my stock. :wavey

LouisanaJeeper
10-23-2003, 05:13 PM
the DACP will polish out the scratches while the SMR will mostly fill them in

bigpoppa
10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
BlackZ28 - how often would you say you use DACP? I`ve used it once - followed up by SMR. I too didn`t think SMR did much but fill, but the DACP definitely removed defects.

imported_Brett K
10-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Hmmmm! I thought 39009 contained no fillers:nixweiss which was why it was recommended for use to remove them before Zaino. I will have to follow up with a dawn wash next time to see for myself.

Deanski
10-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Here is a reply I got back from 3M regarding filling with SMR 39009

3M PN 39009 Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover used with a rotary buffer and a

foam polishing pad removes imperfections such as mild oxidation, very fine

scratches, or the swirls left from compounding using a rubbing compound

such as 39001, 39002, or 39004. However, buffing using a rotary buffer

with any product will always leave some level of swirl. Typically the

swirls from 39009 will only be seen in the sunshine. They will very in

severity based on the type of paint, the color of the paint, and the skill

of the technician doing the buffing. A wax such as PN 39526 Perfect-It

Show Car Paste Wax will fill these fine swirls but needs to be applied

periodically to maintain this appearance. Other 3M Car Care products

designed to fill swirls or other fine imperfections include PN 39026 -

Perfect It Show Car Liquid Wax, and PN 39007 - Imperial Hand Glaze.

Thank You for your interest in 3M products

I hope this answers you question.

Always reach out to the mfg for more info!

Regards,

Deanski

imported_memnuts
10-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Ds01C5

BlackZ28 - how often would you say you use DACP? I`ve used it once - followed up by SMR. I too didn`t think SMR did much but fill, but the DACP definitely removed defects.

Ds01C5,

I have used DACP at least 10 times over the last 3 months on differents vehicles. I find DACP extremely effective at removeing those light scratches that sometimes follow normal washing and QD`ing after a few months. This is especially true on black. The combination of DACP , PC and LC pads and ever increasing skill of operating PC ( varying pressure of PC to surface) plus the addition of the Menzerna IP and FP has created outstanding results on my GM black paint. The best part was that this surface (finish) appearance remained great after a Z7 wash prior to layering protectant ( no evidence of filling ).

Ds01C5 ( black Z06 :bow), if you have not tried the Menzerna twins get some from the Autopia Store. Water-based and sooooooo easy to use. Follow the DACP with this combo and your existing repairable surface marring will be permenantly fixed not filled.:wavey

PS: The reason I use SMR on my family and friends cars is because I know they will not use proper washing, QD`ing and general detailing steps. This leads to deeper imperfections that a stronger initial polish than DACP to completely remove. Therefore, fill what DACP does not eliminate with SMR.