PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm.....what breaks down fuel system cleaner

pingable
10-22-2003, 03:46 PM
After a long day of driving and visiting a client, I noticed there was something on my rear panel on my car.

ARGH....it must have been when I filled up the gas and asked the attendent to add the fuel system cleaner before filling up. If it was gasoline, it would have dried up by now.

I cleaned the panels with water and QD. Inside the gas cover, it`s all over. It`s not dried and *gummish* but there is a solvent with some stickness to it. What do you think I should do to clean this up. Inside there is also 2 drain holes. I can only imagine undeneath the body frame. Is it safe to say , should I pour some paint thinner or solvent of the like to clean the drain holes.

andriver
10-22-2003, 04:04 PM
You may want to consider just using Simple Green or some other degreaser. After the clean up, just wipe down with QD.

pingable
10-22-2003, 05:28 PM
hmmm...perfect time to try out the P21 Total Auto Wash I`ve got lying around.

everner
10-22-2003, 06:07 PM
chefwong, If you feel you "must" use a fuel system cleaner, it should be ADDED to a full tank of gas, not the other way around(cleaner first, then gas). Reason: The heavy solvent action of a fuel system cleaner can EAT the insulation off of the armature windings in the fuel pump (if your fuel pump is in the gas tank). Today`s gasoline`s have enough detergents in them(most cars have fuel injection) to keep your fuel system clean. If you add any thing to you tank, you might consider limiting it to a gasoline dryer or gasoline anti-freeze, to rid your system of water. The best is an isopropyl alcohol (NOT the drug-store stuff-it HAS water in it), instead of a methanol additive. Methanol is harder on the system, than isopropyl alcohol. I wouldn`t pour paint thinner down there, it could eat up paint, plastic, or rubber. The sticky stuff might be the FSC solvents eating away, what it got on. Like A. said, SG ought to cut it. Maybe let it set for a couple of days after you clean it, so the finish could reharden, if it will. Then polish it. Good Luck...