PDA

View Full Version : Quick question before waxing w/ P21S

Blanka725
10-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Hey everyone! This is actually my first time posting here, but I`ve been on and looking at the forums for a while now. Great(The best) car care site that I know of! :up Anyways, I am getting ready to wax my car with some P21S that I recently bought(I bought the kit), and have a few quick questions...Should I use some Dawn to wash the car first? I know most people recommend it, but I didnt see anyhting specifically in the instructions to use Dawn to strip the wax first before applying the P21S. So, I wasnt sure if P21S have different processes for their wax. Also, would you recommend using a clay bar with this? The car is a 2002 Subaru WRX, and this will actually be its first "real" wax, excluding the quick spray on waxes and sometimes at the car wash. Thanks a lot!!

Scottwax
10-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Do not use Dawn, use a good car wash soap. The only valid reasons to use dish detergent to wash your car is if you are going to use Zaino which will not bond to most other products or if you are stripping the wax to repaint the car.

If the paint isn`t glass smooth after washing, then you will need to use clay. Use the P21S GEPC first, then the wax. Take pics and post them.

Blanka725
10-22-2003, 08:10 AM
OK, so I wont want to strip the wax then, jsut wash it like I regularly do. Also, what exactly do I do after I clay bar the car...Do I rewash, or go ahead and use the P21S GEPC and then wax? One more...I`ve heard of some people using a latex glove and using their hand to rub in the wax. Would you recommend that or just use a terry cloth towel to rub in the wax?? I will post pics when I`m finished.

imported_kgb
10-22-2003, 08:15 AM
I always wash the car, clay it, then squirt it off again, dry it, then polish and then wax. I recommend a sponge applicator over the terry cloth but that is just my preference.

Accumulator
10-22-2003, 10:46 AM
Blanka725 - Welcome to Autopia. Fellow `02 WRX owner here. After you clay the car, you shouldn`t need to rewash unless there`s noticeable clay residue. If there is, wash it, otherwise the GEPC IS a good paint cleaner so you`ll be OK.

I STRONGLY urge you to use foam instead of terry. Some Subaru paints are sorta soft and the terry will swirl them up. Nah, don`t do the direct-glove-application. Foam and microfiber are the way to go.

Maybe consider using something like Klasse if you`re gonna drive the car in the winter. WV`s weather isn`t much better than Ohio`s and P21S isn`t always tough enough for winter.

Scottwax
10-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Blanka725

OK, so I wont want to strip the wax then, jsut wash it like I regularly do.

P21S GEPC will strip any old wax on the car, giving you a clean and prepped surface to wax.

Also, what exactly do I do after I clay bar the car...Do I rewash, or go ahead and use the P21S GEPC and then wax?

Unless there is a lot of clay residue, I don`t rewash after claying. If done right, there will be little if any clay residue and any that is left will be removed by the polish.

One more...I`ve heard of some people using a latex glove and using their hand to rub in the wax. Would you recommend that or just use a terry cloth towel to rub in the wax?? I will post pics when I`m finished.

Some Zymol waxes are applied by hand (no applicator), but most other waxes work best with some sort of applicator. S100 comes with it`s own foam pad and a foam pad also works best with GEPC.