PDA

View Full Version : people these days

shyne
10-21-2003, 09:40 PM
so my car just recently got hit :mad: i was a stop light and this guy backed out from a 45degree angle parking space and messed up my rear trunk area. based on the picture what do you guys think i should do. insurance already gave me the money but i think i`ll keep it.

most of it is just paint transfer and smears. the tailight is scratched and the paint is down the the metal on the edge.

i figure some touchup paint and rubbing compound could fix all this???

Jesstzn
10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I`d try Scratch-X first .. no sense being too agressive then having to polish out the haze. Will take a bit of rubbing .. be patient

GoodnClean
10-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey Shyne, SW03ES from LOC again ;)

I repaired almost identical damage to my dad`s LS400 one time with #9 by hand. There were some dents so he had it repainted anyway, but I was able to make it look 100 times better.

Do you have a PC? I think that if you go at it with something like the Scratch X working slowly in the same direction as the scraping then hit the whole area good with DACP. Do the touchup with an autosharp pen or something, then hit it with DACP again and then polish out and seal or wax it`ll look a lot better. You`re always going to know its there, but no one else will.

Issue with doing a partial repaint at your car`s age is getting it to match right...

shyne
10-22-2003, 09:43 PM
thanks for all your replys. i dont have a PC yet, but i`ll give #9 and scratchX a try.

how good is the autosharp pen? is it better than regualr touch up paint?

Preachers Sheets
10-22-2003, 09:45 PM
I would use something like 3M Swirl Remover, that should remove the others car paint from your bumper. You can use the same polish or a plastic polish on the tail light for the same results.

From there you can get the bare metal touched up at a body shop and pocket the rest of the money if you don`t mind spending a little of it.

imported_bigltc
10-23-2003, 09:46 AM
The damage doesn`t look too bad. You should be able to buff it out. I had similar damage to mine. Here`re a couple of pics:

Before:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bchung4457/images/DSC02275.jpg

After:

http://home.earthlink.net/~bchung4457/images/DSC02337.jpg

The dent is still there but the scratch is gone and $550 in my pocket!! :D

GoodnClean
10-23-2003, 04:08 PM
The Autosharp pen is awesome, especially for longer touchups like that. I had someone back into my car, and I buffed the scraping and paint transfer off with the pc, used the touchup pen, then hit the area with DACP again then polished out and waxed, you have to kneel down and look at it to notice. Good stuff.

Yeah you can do it by hand probably with the Scratch X and #9, I didnt use the PC when I fixed my dad`s car.

Hey Expl, take that thing to a paintless dent repair place and for $70 or so it`ll be PERFECT.

shyne
10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
expl, it looked like it never happened! except for the dent heh.

goodnclean, the car prety much scraped it down to the metal/primer because i can see the paint around it peeling. wil the autosharp pen be able to fix it? i`ll probably use it on those key marks i have too ugh

imported_bigltc
10-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Haha...Yeah...the dent is hardly noticeable until you start looking at the reflections. Paintless dent repair will be in my schedule when Christmas break comes around because I get a good 3 weeks off from school but in the mean time, I`ll keep it dented and without the scratch. :D

Oh man...if the paint is down at the primer, then you`re better off getting the panels repainted.

GoodnClean
10-23-2003, 11:41 PM
Hang on though. After you use the Scratch X or the #9 it may look a LOT different. I thought the paint on my dad`s LS was ruined and that all the scraping was right down to the primer (to make it worse, his car was covered in road salt when it happened, so it was all ground in) but after the #9 the only damage left was two small dents and one 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch spot down to the metal. If I had a Autosharp pen back then it would have looked just like Expl`s car right there.

If you`re gonna repaint it, hit it with everything you`ve got first.

I have before and after shots of the LS here somewhere I`ll try and find them to post.

shyne
10-24-2003, 12:39 AM
thanks again for the replys, later i`ll try to get a close up picture of the chipped paint area so you guys can help me out.

Preachers Sheets
10-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ExplEddieBauer

The dent is still there but the scratch is gone and $550 in my pocket!! :D

Now that`s awesome

shyne
10-30-2003, 02:18 PM
finally have some time to take a picture of the scrape on the body pannel. my camera is pretty crappy so it looks blurry.

what do you guys think? will the autosharp pen fix this?

imported_bigltc
10-30-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by joed1228

Now that`s awesome

Haha...yup!! I`ll spend about $100 of it to take the dent out. The others?? I`ll let my parents to keep that.

imported_bigltc
10-30-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by shyne

finally have some time to take a picture of the scrape on the body pannel. my camera is pretty crappy so it looks blurry.

what do you guys think? will the autosharp pen fix this?

Ouch!! I`m pretty sure if you clean up the place very very well, you can use the pen and fix the damage. Or you can follow Steve`s advice first before doing anything. Just buff it out and see how much touch up you need to do. Good luck!!!