PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Wetsand Burn through

Pages : [1] 2

asianmantis
10-21-2003, 06:58 PM
I was wetsanding my car this evening and unfourtunately I burned through a layer of paint. It looks like a circle about the size of a dime and black on the outer edge (I will post pictures later). Does anyone have any ideas/solutions that could help me in making it less noticble?

asianmantis
10-21-2003, 08:26 PM
It is on my passenger side door. Blah.... I guess I could take it off....

I was wetsanding because there was a bigger scratch there to begin with and I was working it down to a higher grit, and then BURNED.....

THEKNEEBITER
10-22-2003, 11:00 AM
i did this same thing on my black 97 saab 900se convert. on the trunk lid about the size of a golf ball. i used an air brush with some single stage black. first thing is to clean the area to make sure there is no wax at all. then take some rubbing compound and give a very light rub over the area and aprox 2 inches around the area. this is to dull it up a little and make the new paint stick. then take the air brush and spray the area starting in the center and pulling away as you move out to the good area. dont be afraid of going out to far as you will be pollishing it after and the over spray will come off. put on a few coats waiting 10 min between. after you are done wait aprox 1 week then use pollishing compound by hand to pollish the area. keep going untill it looks good to you. with my black car the fix was almost invisible. the only way you could see it was in direct sunlight and you had to really look hard. good luck.

asianmantis
10-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Awsome Advice keebler! Appriciate that so much!!!!

THEKNEEBITER
10-22-2003, 10:01 PM
hello, thanks for the welcome. keebler? now im an elf ! :)

asianmantis
10-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Sorry... I`m not good at reading all caps :P

asianmantis
11-21-2003, 09:30 PM
Now that I am actually going to try to do this.... When I go for the spray, should I just start in the middle and pull back slowly or should i spray in little spurts farther and farther back? I am worried about the paint dripping.... Suggestion?

tpgsr
11-21-2003, 09:58 PM
I believe i have mentioned this here before, and i am positive that everyone will agree that less is better. It is always better to do alot of really really thin coats than few heavy coats. Just take your time, wait about 3 min between coats (depending on the paint you are using, Dupont recomends 3-5), and you should be ok

Best of luck

asianmantis
11-23-2003, 02:23 PM
so should i just do a series of short sprays or a gradual longer spray?

THEKNEEBITER
11-23-2003, 06:41 PM
start in the center of the burn and work out. nice steady light coats. dont worry how it looks with the first coats. after you build it up and then repolish it you will be very happy
Originally posted by asianmantis

so should i just do a series of short sprays or a gradual longer spray? :)

asianmantis
11-23-2003, 07:58 PM
gotcha. So I just start in the center... spray a little, move back a little, spray some more and repeat for a little while.

Thanks for the info KNEEBITER..... got the name right this time!

asianmantis
11-24-2003, 06:34 PM
KNEEBITER: One more thing.... Where did you get your single stage paint? I went to Sherwin Williams and they told me I have 3-stage paint... I just need to do a little touch up so I am just trying to get a one stage paint for the time being before I get my car re-sprayed.

THEKNEEBITER
11-24-2003, 10:32 PM
i got my paint at my local auto body supply shop. what color is your car ?

KNEEBITER: One more thing.... Where did you get your single stage paint? I went to Sherwin Williams and they told me I have 3-stage paint... I just need to do a little touch up so I am just trying to get a one stage paint for the time being before I get my car re-sprayed.

asianmantis
11-24-2003, 10:41 PM
When you say body shop, do you mean like a paint store or like someone that actually paints cars (does paint jobs)?

My car is `Crimson` Red (It`s a 91 Toyota color). Paint code is 3J6. I am wondering if I can just give the paint code to someone and have them mix that for me.

THEKNEEBITER
11-25-2003, 08:44 AM
a store that sells just autobody supplies is where i got it. if you have a good body shop in your aerea just go in with the code and ask them if they will mix and sell you a pint.

When you say body shop, do you mean like a paint store or like someone that actually paints cars (does paint jobs)?

My car is `Crimson` Red (It`s a 91 Toyota color). Paint code is 3J6. I am wondering if I can just give the paint code to someone and have them mix that for me.