PDA

View Full Version : Bird Bombs (Best Route?)

allen aikens jr.
10-21-2003, 03:12 PM
Autopians, your advice please.

1999 Ford F150 with some major etching from bird droppings.

I`ll probably end up doing the whole truck for him, because of these things. This is what I have at my disposal:

3M Microfinishing Compound

3M IHG

3M Yellow Hand Wax

Pinnacle Paint Cleanser

Blackfire (not enough for whole truck, tho`)

P21S Paint Cleaner

OG Blitz

P21S Wax

Suggestions? I thought about using the 3M products.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1382brdbmb3.jpg

TIA,

Scott

GoodnClean
10-21-2003, 03:55 PM
I`m not sure how the 3M Microfinishing compound fits in there, but if those are etched into the paint, then they`re gonna be really hard to remove. I have some similar etchings on my 97 Explorer and DACP with a yellow pad wouldn`t touch them. They`re tough...

However the Explorer is white, so it got them to a point where they`re not noticeable, but on black or maybe even that blue I`d have been in trouble...

shaf
10-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Didn`t you ask about this earlier on? :confused: I`m getting deja vu here.

Anyway, GoodnClean is right, they can be really stubborn and you`ll have to treat it like oxidation. Most of the products you have listed are practically non-abrasive, so if that Microfinishing Compound (isn`t that a fairly strong rubbing compound??) is "strong" that might do it, but find out about it first so you don`t use something too strong....

allen aikens jr.
10-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Didn`t you ask about this earlier on? :confused: I`m getting deja vu here.

Anyway, GoodnClean is right, they can be really stubborn and you`ll have to treat it like oxidation. Most of the products you have listed are practically non-abrasive, so if that Microfinishing Compound (isn`t that a fairly strong rubbing compound??) is "strong" that might do it, but find out about it first so you don`t use something too strong....

Whoa, 4DSC. You had going to check my threads to make sure I didn`t ask this before. I hadn`t. The only one close was for water spots.

This is what 3M had to say about their microfinishing compound:

"Specially formulated medium cut, liquid compound for removal of 1200, 1500, and 2000 sand scratches in automotive or marine paints including clear coat finishes."

So, I guess I`ll go with a milder abrasive. I believe the P21S is milder. And, if that doesn`t work, I`ll step up to the 3M.

Thanks, guys!:xyxthumbs

shaf
10-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Yaz

Whoa, 4DSC. You had going to check my threads to make sure I didn`t ask this before. I hadn`t. The only one close was for water spots. Sorry Yaz, my bad! :) I tend to think outloud too much, that`s all. I wasn`t doing this :nono or anything, I was just had this feeling that someone had asked about this earlier but hadn`t gotten anywhere or something.... oh well. :p

Anyway, I`d be careful stepping up from the P21S to the 3M, as there is probably a huge jump from the super gentle P21S to the 3M product. Good luck!

imported_indy
10-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Shoot the birds.:p