PDA

View Full Version : Souveran and Zymol

Pages : [1] 2

SuperBuick
10-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Question here.

I am torn between zymol carbon and pinnacle souveran on my firehawk. After polishing with menzerna (again....still had a few nit picky swirls that were bothering me), I followed up with Souveran, but I`m wondering to myslef, could I, between layers of souveran, add in a layer of carbon (I have more zymol left than souveran as well, so I`d like to be able to combine the two for more coats). I realize that souveran takes better to layering than the zymol carbon does, but would I lose the ability to apply more souveran after a layer of zymol?

Let me know your thoughts. I went the synthetic base, carnauba topper route, and for me, I`m getting as good results with tons of polishing time and multiple coats of high-quality carnauba. Durability isn`t an issue, I just want the absolute best shine.

-Tom

imported_Greg
10-20-2003, 09:31 PM
You probably won`t notice much difference honestly, but it is worth a shot. You can probably do the final wax layers in any wax you`d like. I`m pretty sure Carbon is a pure wax, right? I know I topped Souveran with P21S for more pop and less dust attraction without problems. Honestly, I could not tell the difference.

SuperBuick
10-20-2003, 09:35 PM
yes, carbon is a pure wax. I will probably see something minor - only because I am so super picky and sensitive about the finish...but then aren`t we all :) Thanks!

Dust attraction and other issues are not a factor as the car is garaged and covered. For now, at least, I have the liberty of shine being the one and only concern!! :-D

-Tom

Deanski
10-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Ah, go ahead and give it a try!

I`ve got oh.. I`d say three coats of Souveran paste over Zaino, but I also have still in the frig, Japon. Who knows, maybe I`ll even use the Detail for the urathane bumpers on the SC!

I`ve got so many waxes, it`s just now preference and what looks good! Yet to add VM/CMW to the mix, which I now have.

It`s all about trial and error. You`ll never know unless you try it. Hell, if it doesn`t do it for you, go back to Souveran, or try CMW or whatever... That`s what makes it so fun now.. So many waxes, so little time...... AND WEATHER!

Regards,

Deanski

SuperBuick
10-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Yeah, come to think of it I`ve got some detail in there too....i oughtta use that on the T/As numerous aero parts.....good call. I really like souveran, and I know i like zymol, its jsut a matter of whether or not they play well together.

-Tom

Jngrbrdman
10-21-2003, 09:09 AM
I`ve run Souveran against Zymol Vintage before. I don`t know that you can judge a wax just by the cost, but Frank was nice enough to send me some Vintage so who am I to complain? :D Personally I feel that Vintage was too fragile of a wax for a daily driver. It didn`t last half as long as Souveran or P21S/S100. I don`t know about Carbon, but if Vintage is any indication of the durability I can expect from other Zymol high end waxes, then I`ll just stick to my P21S/S100. Vintage looked really really good, it was just gone in a very short time.

SuperBuick
10-21-2003, 09:13 AM
See for me, that sounds like EXACTLY what I am looking for. Granted, for $1500 I will never ever have it, but fragility etc, etc is of no real concern to me. I just want the besst look I can find. So far, my favorite is pinnacle souveran. Someday when I get rich I will try some vintage...or royale...

:D

-Tom

togwt
10-21-2003, 09:38 AM
I`ve been using a resin (Autoglym) with Zymol Vintage Wax, I`d have to say it`s the `ultimate shine`.

Note: they are not my cars but other`s toys, they are not by any means `daily drivers` and the re-fillable wax was brought for me by a client

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect

Jngrbrdman
10-21-2003, 10:17 AM
I wouldn`t say that the appearance difference was really worth the price difference. Souveran or P21S are close enough that you aren`t missing a darn thing. Put some Platinum or Zaino or Klasse under that Souveran and it will kick the crap out of Zymol any day of the week. By themselves they are so similar that all either one really needs is just a little edge to appear better. I really don`t think you could tell the difference between them.

imported_Intermezzo
10-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SuperBuick

I went the synthetic base, carnauba topper route, and for me, I`m getting as good results with tons of polishing time and multiple coats of high-quality carnauba. Durability isn`t an issue, I just want the absolute best shine.

-Tom

I completely agree. For one of my cars, durability isn`t much of an issue because I`m CONSTANTLY tinkering with it....adding layers, spot claying, removing a blemish here and there. I`ve also done the synthetic/carnauba combo many times before and **IMO**, the glaze + carnauba shine just looks better to me.

Never tried Z-Carbon so I can`t really give you an honest recommendation, but *MY* solution to a dilemma such as yours is to just buy both products and use them both. Part of my enjoyment in detailing is having a closet-full of products to choose from every weekend. :)

Mantic6t9
10-21-2003, 04:17 PM
Zymol Carbon looks great on my red m3. If it wasn`t twice the price of s100 i would probly use it.

Deanski
10-21-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I wouldn`t say that the appearance difference was really worth the price difference. Souveran or P21S are close enough that you aren`t missing a darn thing. Put some Platinum or Zaino or Klasse under that Souveran and it will kick the crap out of Zymol any day of the week. By themselves they are so similar that all either one really needs is just a little edge to appear better. I really don`t think you could tell the difference between them.

Ohh how true! Now that the SC has many Zaino layers and many Souveran Paste on top, boy does it look S W E E T!

Next, VM/CMW since I just got the stuff!

Enjoy "playing" with the wax!

Regards,

Deanski

Jngrbrdman
10-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Yup. :) Since I`m pretty much satisfied with my choice of sealants I`ve decided that I want to start "playing", as Deanski put it, with waxes. I`m always on the lookout for a good one to try. Not till spring though. Not much use it in over the winter. Next year I`m going to see if I can resist the sealants and just go pure carnauba all summer. It depends on how busy I get I guess. Comparing waxes is just too much fun. Especially when there are waxes like Souveran out there to compare things to. :bigups

Deanski
10-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Oh yea sure... Wait till that "Lab Sample `D` or `E`" comes out! You`ll be jonesin for that combo! :D

Then you just never know what Sal`s up to!:p

Right now, I`m in wax overload! Just got that new wax from Pinnacle "Signature Series"... VM/CMW and the rest I`ve had!

Good luck trying not to be overcome by LAB SAMPLE D or E....

Deanski

silk27106
10-24-2003, 09:59 PM
I called up Zymol one day and the sales guy told me, "Zaino is very bad for your paint because your paint cannot breath."

He also told me, "Zymol is good for your paint. Zymol is lotion for your paint. It`s like your skin."

I say stay with S100 or Souveran and just layer away.