PDA

View Full Version : dealing with insurance companies

Pages : [1] 2

ahunt01
10-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey, a tree fell on my car in my college parking lot. Their insurance company is going to pay to fix my car not my company, although I have no idea whether they will pay the $7,200 worth of damage.

Anyrate, can anyone offer me tips for dealing with another parties insurance company?:confused:

kempie
10-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Get a couple of estimates of repair and make sure the place you want to do the work is the lowest.

Contact their ins. co. and find out where to present the estimates.

Their ins. co. may have someone who they want to repair the veh. and thats not always bad but it can be. If they want you to use their shop just be sure they are doing all the work that you had on your estimate. Ask for references of their work.

If worst comes to worst turn the claim into your own co. and let them go back on the other co.

And most important......GOOD LUCK

scottabir
10-20-2003, 11:25 PM
Insurance companies...one word...ugh. one more: headache.

ahunt01
10-21-2003, 06:30 AM
What do you do if they say the 7,200 quote is too hich, and offer me like 2,000? I really hate to make my insurance pay the rest, since it`s the college`s fault. Someone told me I should go to some kind of commission and argue my case if the college`s insurance co refuses to pay.

medic
10-21-2003, 02:30 PM
tell them they`ll be getting a call from your insurance company.

I don`t beleive ins companies can`t raise rates if an accident is not your fault. My rate have never increased becaseu of the few accidents I was involved with when I was not at fault. therefore, you may as well just go along and have your company deal with the college insurance company.

I take it you`re a student, spend your time studying instead of trying to deal with these other companies, you`re paying your insurance company to handle stuff like this for you, so let them do it. Insurnace companies deal with each other all the time, so they know all the tricks. Your insurance comopany will probably pay for it inintially so your car is back and running and then their lawyers will go after the other company and make them reimburse them.

ahunt01
10-21-2003, 02:47 PM
So I did right be getting an estimate from the best place in the area? Now just present it to the college`s insurance company when they contact me, or direct them to contact the body shop?

BradE
10-21-2003, 02:56 PM
The insurance company representing the college will likely send an adjuster to examine your vehicle. They would calculate their own price for the damage. Then present them with your estimate if their estimate is lower.

If it really did $7,200 in damage, it`s possible they might just total the car.

ahunt01
10-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Well there`s about 3k worth of damage. My other quote for 7k is for replacing the panels, rather than banging them out, and buffing the windows with the exception of the windshield. It`s also including a complete re-paint instead of just painting the fixed panels.

If they declare the car totaled, what will I get for it? My bluebook value? If so, what kind? Trade in or private seller?

Maxtorque02
10-21-2003, 04:43 PM
First off. What are all the details about the car, year, make, mileage, condition and options such as power windows, pwr seats, 5spd or automatic, moon roof stock wheels and tires , or alloy wheels or custom wheels etc.

Second off. The insurance company is only liable to fix the car and put it back to the condition it was in before the accident. That can mean using used parts if available and only painting the portions that were damaged. If you want the whole car painted, then it would be your responsibility to the pay the balance. You might want to get another estimate with those circumstances in mind before you have the college insurance look at it. They cannot tell you where to have the car fixed and most body shops will work directly with insurance companies in case there is hidden damage that wasn`t on the estimate. Go in with a positive attitude and decide where you want the car fixed so that you can tell the insurance adjuster.Do you have any pictures of the car after the damage. Post them on here Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

PS- If they decide to total your car, get some information on cars that are very similar to yours that have recently sold or advertised in your area. This should give you a good estimate as to what the car is worth. You can also look it up on the Kelly Blue Book website and get a value. The more information you have the better ability to negotiate with. Remember, negotiation is usually a compromise on both sides. Be prepared.:D

BradE
10-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Well, then you can forget your $7,000 estimate. They are not going to replace the panels, and do a complete repaint. The insurance company will pay the LEAST amount to put the car back into it`s pre-accident condition. Which means pounding out the current panels, and repainting those.

With only $3,000 of acutal damage, they will repair it. I was thought they would total it if there was $7K in acutal damage, but there isn`t.

Maxtorque02
10-21-2003, 05:31 PM
Panels are very seldom fixed anymore, as it`s cheaper to buy the new part and repaint it. Labor cost prohibits much actual body work unless the part can`t be replaced. They will look for used parts(doors, fenders etc) and if not available then they will allow the body shop to purchase new. The best bet is to choose the shop of your choice and have them work directly with the insurance adjuster. Make sure the body shop keeps you informed of any decisions of work to be done so that you can step in if you feel another approach would be better.:D

ahunt01
10-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Navi Man, it`s a 2000 Honda Civic with 32,000 miles, before the accident it was in excellent condition, it had all the goodies, and was an automatic. With all that, kelly blue book values my far (trade in value) at around 10,500. I know the insurance co would not give me that cash, as it would be cheaper to just fix it for 7k, although I know getting 7k is not realistic either.

My thought, either demand the 7k to fix it in the way that will satisfy me and then they will declare it totaled, or I can just bend over and let them ram it in and have the cheaper work done. Even if I take it up the tail pipe, atleast I still will have a car the is dependable, even though it more than likely will not have that new car look. The shop can cut corners. They can probably buff out the scratches on my sunroof and rear and side windows, and hammer out the roof and hood instead of replacing it. And instead of my insurance company paying to paint the whole car for $900 they can pay for the panels that need repainting and I can pay out of my own pocked for the rest of the car.

So I guess the best thing to do is to let them give me their own estimate first (which is what they wanted to do), and then present mine. And more than likely I`ll have to end up taking the car back to the shop and tell them how much $ I have to work with and take it from there?

Detailing NY
10-21-2003, 05:59 PM
ok, this is how it works..... I know a lot about this as my full time job is an insurance adjuster. *cant say for what company*

The college`s insurance company will send an insurance adjuster to see your car. They will call you to make an appointment. Be sure you tell them to see the vehicle at the shop where you want the repairs to be done. This way the shop and the adjuster will go over the vehicle and come to an agreed price.

If the actual repairs are 3k, then forget the other estimate for 7k.

I see cars all day long and write estimates on them. I think only a few times i allowed for a full paint job. Most of the time you just allow for refinishing the damaged panels and blends for color matching.

As for you damaged panels, i cant say whether or not they need to be repaired or replaced. If you have pix i can help you out.

But depending on the part pricing and amount of dmg`s they may purchase an aftermarket part or a lkq part (used part).

also find out the labor rates of the body shop as the insurance company has there own set labor rates as well. You want to make sure you are not stuck paying the difference.

as for that 7k estimate when the dmgs are only 3k, in NY that is called insurance fraud. -- not a good thing.

Make sure you get a warranty from the shop you choose in writting, i have seen some pretty bad paint jobs.

The insurance company may also recommend a shop to you as well. go and see that shop. as not only will they warranty the work the insurance company warranties the work as well in most cases for life.

NYD

ahunt01
10-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Click her for pics (http://www.citlink.net/~ahunt01/webpackage/index.htm)

First off, wow that`s awesome NY detailer that you are an insurance adjuster, just the person I need lol.

Second, I`m not trying to be fradulous, I`m just getting a quote that replaces things instead of having them half-hammered out and bondoed to heck. I`m sure you`d feel the same way, being an autopian. Someone at a performance shop told me to get the most expensive quote, not an illegal quote, so as to give the body shop flexibility. But... I didn`t intend the quote to be 7k.

The work, in my opinion that will bring it back to the state that it was in prior to the accident is 7k, however it can be repaired for around 3k according to another body shop, but like I said with cut corners and with less work being done.

Even though I`m 100.1% sure the painted/blended panels will not match the rest of my car, I also agree that they probably won`t pay for it. Since the paint job is only 900 bucks, should I just request to pay out of my own pocked the extra $ for the other side?

Also, a good hunk of money is going to replace the drivers side windows, and the rear window. All have a very very minor scratch on them, but a scratch non-the less. I was quoted with replaced windows, although it can probably be done cheaper by buffing out. Either rate, they`re obligated to fix it right?

Thanks so much for your help, may I privately contact you if I have any other questions that an insurance person may be able to give me the lowdown on?

Detailing NY
10-21-2003, 09:23 PM
wow thats a lot of pix for me to go through, i will look at them tomorrow.

Before you tell the shop that you want to pay for items out of your own pocket, let the insurance adjuster come and complete and estimate. maybe he will allow for items on the other side to be painted.

You can always email me if you need some advice

NYD