PDA

View Full Version : anyone subsitute clay with 3M SMR ?

s2skimon
10-20-2003, 02:50 PM
I was suggested this:

Substituting a PC 7424 with 3M SMR as opposed to Zaino`s clay bar.

anyone doing this ?

thanks

s2skimon
10-20-2003, 02:57 PM
that`s interesting. I will let those folks know.

So I guess it would be wash > clay > re-wash > dry > PC 3M SMR then z2 or z5 and then z6 ?

thanks

s2skimon
10-20-2003, 03:01 PM
gotcha thanks

Jngrbrdman
10-20-2003, 07:47 PM
I rarely wash after clay because usually I`m just going to be using AIO or something like that anyway. If there are some streaks from claying left over then who really cares? The polish is going to remove it all anyway.

Clay is going to remove things that a swirl mark remover isn`t even going to touch. Imagine you have a sliver in your finger. Clay is the tweezers that will remove the sliver. Then you can use whatever you want after that. Clay will pull contamination off the car that polishes can`t touch. If you want to see for yourself then feel the car after you use a polish and then clay the surface. Feel it after you clay and you will notice a huge difference. Clay is an essential part of the preperation process.

s2skimon
10-20-2003, 07:57 PM
what is AIO ?

Jngrbrdman
10-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Klasse All In One. Its a sealant/surface cleaner and a base for Klasse Sealant Glaze. Its more of a base and a cleaner than an actual sealant, but apparently people get good results using it all by itself as a selant as well.

fidelfs
10-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Check the acronyms (http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm) here.

AIO Klasse All In One

:xyxthumbs

togwt
10-24-2003, 10:23 AM
I`ve used Zymol HD instead of clay (but on a car that I detail every three months or so.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect

Lowejackson
10-24-2003, 10:31 AM
If the Zymol is a polish then the comments by BlackRegal are correct. Clay and polish do different things.

Preachers Sheets
10-24-2003, 02:19 PM
You can use the polish instead of the clay but it will take so much time you`ll go crazy. The clay pulls the garbage out of the clear where the polish will cut into the clear to rid the clear of the junk. Clay is much more effective and time efficent.

You can get Claymagic at Autozone, Pepboys or Lappens. I think the stuff is great.