PDA

View Full Version : Interior on new car is nasty!

Pages : [1] 2

Blue-Sun
10-20-2003, 10:15 AM
So as some of you may know, I bought a 95 GSR last week after saying goodbye to my 2002 WRX. :(

But I really like the GSR, but it`s definately not an autopian`s kind of car (has some rust!)

But it was cheap, and runs good.

Anywho, back on subject, the interior on this car is just nasty. stains on all the seats and carpets and the interior plastic looks like it hasn`t seen any kind of protectant in years!

I had some Son Of A Gun and used that on the interior very quickly on saturday, but today I wanna really attack it and get it clean. I noticed that on the steering wheel and shifter that there`s this greyish looking gunk all over the place, almost like embedded dead skin or something. What can I use to really clean up those 2 areas without leaving a sticky residue on my hands after driving.

thanks!

david

Blue-Sun
10-20-2003, 10:21 AM
thanks for the tip. . .I`ll look for that tonight.

thanks

Blue-Sun
10-22-2003, 09:46 PM
I looked at Murray`s Auto parts. . .and they didn`t have that stuff mentioned.

I did see a 3M clear and colored plastic cleaner and a 3M polish next to it. It seemes like it was more for exterior type plastic. . .taillights, turnsignals, bug gards, etc. If this can be used, I have the meguiars clear plastic cleaner. Can I use this to clean my interior?

The did have 303 on sale for cheap, but it`s a protectant/cleaner. I need a really good cleaner for this gunk. I`lll take some pics tomorrow in the daylight and show you all what I`m talking about. . .

david

uconn1150
10-22-2003, 09:52 PM
How about some diluted simple green?

Scottwax
10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Water and Woolite should do the trick. If it was driven primarily by a woman, that gunk is dried make-up.

Blue-Sun
10-23-2003, 09:44 AM
It was male driven. There`s like ground in greyish black funk on the steering wheel and shifter knob.

I`ve got some of that Orange Glow (or whatever it`s called) for the house, maybe that`ll work on the interior? Either way, I`ll try and tackle this problem tonight. . .

Spilchy
10-23-2003, 09:56 AM
It was male driven and has funk and gunk inside? Ick! Eeeuuww! :lol

Blue-Sun
10-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

It was male driven and has funk and gunk inside? Ick! Eeeuuww! :lol

not that kinda of funk sicko! :lol

Jngrbrdman
10-23-2003, 11:20 AM
I would give Simple Green a chance. Just dilute it so it doesn`t eat up the leather on the knob and the steering wheel. You may need a tooth brush to help clean the surface. Meguiar`s #39 might be something to look into getting too. That stuff has worked pretty well for me. I just always use a brush to help things along. Even a mild cleaner goes a long way if you have a little scrubbing action to help it out.

hondaguy2582
10-23-2003, 11:35 AM
dilute dawn with water. In my honda, they recommend a mild soap and water mix for cleaning vinyl.

Blue-Sun
10-23-2003, 12:06 PM
I`ll try a diluted Simply Green. It did wonders on the motor, so I`ll give it a try in the interior.

thanks everyone!

david

DaGonz
10-23-2003, 02:05 PM
The gunk is oils from the skin impegnated with dirt. I use Lexol leather cleaner and a toothbrush to remove it.

Blue-Sun
10-23-2003, 02:51 PM
cool. . .I`lll try that if SG doesn`t work . . .thanks Gonzo

Jake11375
10-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Mother`s back to black works excellent for interior dash and steering wheel, plastic parts cleaning. Don`t expect it to last long on exterior trim though.:xyxthumbs

Blue-Sun
10-23-2003, 04:41 PM
simply green worked! (http://www.freebmw.net/WRXemALL/cars/Simply%20Green%20Magic/Simply%20Green%20Magic.html)

david