PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove Diamondite Glass Protectant?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 05:27 AM
I want to polish my windshield with the Zaino glass polish I am receiving today. In order to do this I believe I must remove the Diamondite glass protectant ( extremely durable and does exactly what it claims - protects glass).

I did some test spots with PC and polishes. Boy is this stuff tuff. Will isopropyl alcohol dissolve this polymer?

Will the Zaino be strong enough by itself to polish thru this Diamondite?

Anyone ever try removing Diamondite?

Yes, after polishing with the Zaino Glass Polish I will re-apply the Diamondite protectant.

TIA

imported_BretFraz
10-20-2003, 08:21 AM
I would imagine Prepsol or similar will do the trick. Brake cleaner rarely fails at jobs like this, too. Mineral spirits, naptha, etc. all should work fine.

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks Bret I will try some mineral spirits I already have at home and if I do not hear from Diamondite, I will try some Prepsol.

:xyxthumbs

JAGOWNER1981
10-20-2003, 09:16 AM
how do u like thd diamondite glass protectant? I would like to try some. Any chance it fills the micropitting I have all over my window? (doubt it)

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Ali, I am sure that the sealant will fill-in the micro-pitting. This stuff is stout. Unfortunately, not correct the optics. Therefore, they will still be visible when driving and the angle of the sun makes these defects rear the ugly heads :shocked

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 10:37 AM
Here is the quick response from Diamondite about removal. :xyxthumbs

Thanks so very much Bryan for your quick response and solution ( sorry for the pun) to my dilemma.

Edwin

-----Original Message-----

To: .org

Sent: 10/20/03 9:40 AM

Subject: From Diamondite

Edwin,

Thank you for contacting Diamondite. Any product with an acetone

content

will remove the Diamondite polymer. Fingernail polish remover would be

your best bet.

Please let me know if I can help further,

Bryan L. Schouest

Diamondite, L.L.C.

bryan@diamondite.com

panapower
10-20-2003, 01:26 PM
So how did you like the Diamondite? Was it worth it? hoe come you`re tring to take it off now?

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by PanaPower

So how did you like the Diamondite? Was it worth it? hoe come you`re tring to take it off now?

I like it very much. It works like Rainex but not as repellant as Rainex. Diamondite adds protection to the virgin glass surface that is actual measurable by it difficulty in removal by PC and abrasives.

It never streaked, created detectable wear ( wiper usage areas become quite apparent with Rainex) or gummed like Rainex.

Was it worth it? Can`t but a price on this hobby`s enjoyment. Check out my review on Diamondite System in ? Feb. 03. I am a hobbist, I tinker ( as my wife calls it :o) more than I drive them and like trying and using novel products on my cars.

Will it make a pitted, etched, poorly maintained and marred windshield appear new? No.

The reason I am removing is because I want to polish my glass a little better than I initially did and to try a new product ( for me) Zaino Z12 - Glass Polish. After this project I will re-apply the Diamondite to preserve work. :wavey

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 04:51 PM
The reason I started this thread was to get info on the removal of Diamondite polymer glass protectant. After receiving this info I proceded to remove ( using methyl acetate I had at home - worked as advertised) and discovered an somewhat unexpected result. The Diamondite actually did protect the windshield!!! :bounce.

I had noticed some increasing apparent glass marring ( minor chips) and just wrote off to driving in the "real" world and possibly to the age of the glass ( original >8years old) . But ole and behold this marring was actual only in the 2 coats of Diamondite not the glass. :shocked but pleased. Also some linear marked were removed by this solution.

After a little thought, it is obvious that a clear polymer, like a clearcoat painted surface is not completely resistant to marring during cleaning and wiper usage.

I am over-joyed by this discovery and functioning of this product.

To re-answer the above question about the value of Diamondite. YES!!!

Was it worth the effort required to apply ( see my review from earilier this year. Again ABSOLUTELY YES!!

Will it work as well on a daily driver :nixweiss? Probably Yes with more frequent renewal.

Now time to play with the Zaino Glass Polish.:xyxthumbs

Bill D
10-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Now I wonder if I apply the Diamondite Shield and then Aquapel if I will get the best of both worlds: chip resistance and the best rain repellancy. I haven`t tried yet out of fear of disaster of putting these chemicals on top of each other. That will probably be an ordeal to remove, so hoping someone knows for sure this is a good idea. If it is, its a case of Diamondite Shield and Aquapel for me :)

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Bill, if the Aquapel is devoid of any acetone or acetate based solvents it may work. Alcohol seemed to have little effect on Diamondite.

Sounds very interesting. :xyxthumbs

Bill D
10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
I`m going to try to find out the ingredients. Hope this is a recipe for great success! :xyxthumbs:

Bill D
10-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Just looked at the Aquapel and it contains petroleum distillates. I fear its going to remove the Diamondite Shield or cause some unfavorable reaction. Guess we can`t have the best of both worlds :(

imported_memnuts
10-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Bill,

drop Diamondite an e-mail. Their address is in one of my earlier responses. I am sure they will direct you on your experiment`s viability.

imported_Aurora40
10-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Edwin,

I used a bit of distilled water with the Z-12 when I used it. I just found it dried up a bit too easily. A light spritz helped a lot. If you have problems spreading it, you might try this.

It`s pretty mild, but does a nice job. I had blackfire on the glass previous. The Z-12 and distilled water would bead up on the glass pretty well until I really worked it in. It took a bit of effort to get the Blackfire off, which tells me it is reasonably mild. The glass looked great afterwards. :)

Edit: I guess by now maybe you already used it... ;)