PDA

View Full Version : ok, fellas, need big-time help pronto, ran out of daylight...

kidsdoc
10-18-2003, 05:43 PM
my plan was to wake up early & get everything done today so that i could maybe add a layer of two of Klasse SG tomorrow and maybe a layer of wax before the `skins game

i had planned on washing, claying, 3M FI-II &/or 3M SMR followed by Klasse AIO/SG, all of this w/ a Porter Cable which I`m using for the first time ever :eek:

well, as all well thought out plans go, my first problem: i overslept:rolleyes: ; so i wash my car & start claying & that takes about an hr & a half:o ; needless to say i didn`t have time to finish, what i did do was polish my hood & half of my roof w/ FI-II/SMR & use SMR on my right front fender, all followed by a single layer of AIO by hand

this leads me to my first question/issue: i think i may been using an inappropriate amount of FI-II (how do you know if you`re using too much/too litte?) also, how hard are you supposed to press on the PC? i think i may have put too much of the FI-II on my hood b/c it never really "hazed through" or dried up; i actually had to dry it off w/ a terry cloth (however the center of my pad always remained dry (i.e., no product)

on my hood i actually added/used SMR on top of the still moist FI-II which leads me to my 2nd problem; after i started doing so, i remembered you`re not supposed to mix pads, did i do this step incorrectly?

my last question would be what do i do tomorrow? just complete the parts of the car i haven`t completed (after another wash)?

PAW
10-18-2003, 08:20 PM
For tomorrow, if you park your car in the garage, you might get away with just using a California Duster and QDing it. If there is only light dust on it. If you parked outside, I`d do a quick wash.

dtsang
10-18-2003, 09:28 PM
i`m new to the porter cable also. this will be my 3rd weekend working w/ it. truth be told, a good investment would be a 500W halogen worklight. it costs about $9 @ home depot, and you don`t have to chase the sun. also w/ the worklight, you can catch all the low spots that you miss.:xyxthumbs

kidsdoc
10-18-2003, 11:45 PM
and one more question:

i checked out my work under the bright lights of a local car dealer & some of the scratches didn`t come out

what would you guys do first? try FI-II w/ the wool pad or try some of the PI-II Rubbing Compound w/ the yellow pad?

thanks!