PDA

View Full Version : Clay Magic Haze - Identification and Removal

kcarter
10-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Used clay for the first time today after a Dawn wash. When I was doing it, I noticed it got dry in a few areas and left a residue. I was able to buff that off with an MF.

After I finished (I only did the hood and one window) I was looking over the car with a 500w Halogen, and noticed what looked like smears / haze (more smear like) of clay, same direction I had been going in.

The questions I have are

1) Is it clay?

2)How do I remove it.

My hood is swirled, and I used Megs #9 to try and remove the swirls about a month ago. Didn`t really work, and I could see the fine scraches that the Megs made in the paint in the direction I had used it on the hood.

Could I be seeing what the Swirl Remover had done to the paint, and not clay?

I used a 50/50 alcohol / water mix, dripped onthe paint (no spray bottle), buffed with MF and a terry, but that really didn`t change much.

Would Klasse AIO clean up any clay?

If so, is a foam pad or a terry pad preferable to apply the Klasse.

Thanks for your time.

disasnguy
10-18-2003, 07:10 PM
yep. i had the same problem AIO cleared it all up. it doesn`t really matter what applicator but i used foam.

imported_Aurora40
10-19-2003, 06:07 PM
If it looks like smears, it could be from too much clay lube. Maybe it streaked. I`ve only noticed clay spots where the Clay Magic sat on the paint, like when starting and stopping. Only on places the clay made contact but wasn`t moving.

If you are seeing scratches from #9, I`d bet you are making them, not the #9. It isn`t very strong stuff. It`s possible your applicator or toweling or something is to blame. :nixweiss

Detailing NY
10-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by kcarter

Used clay for the first time today after a Dawn wash. When I was doing it, I noticed it got dry in a few areas and left a residue. I was able to buff that off with an MF.

I think by what you said you got dry in a few areas. You may not have enough lub in that area and were rubbing the clay to hard.

if you place clay right on the car without lub the clay will rub of onto the car and leave clay marks. be sure to use enough lub, i like to use soap & water

Accumulator
10-20-2003, 11:23 AM
kcarter- Yeah, it sounds like you might`ve marred the finish a little when claying. As NYDetailer said, you need to use PLENTY of lube and do your claying VERY gently. Just gliding it over the surface of the panel. It should be a NON-abrasive process.

Any streaking from TOO MUCH lube, as Aurora40 mentioned, will clean up with the AIO. Most ANY kind of residue will clean off with AIO.

Use FOAM with AIO, not terry. Terry can mar the finish unless you`re VERY careful (both about what you`re using and how you`re using it).

And it IS funny that the #9 marred your finish. Again, it must be your applicator OR perhaps your method. #9 in and of itself won`t do that unless you keep working it until/after it`s dry, and even then it`s pretty mild. Remove #9 while it`s still a little wet and don`t let it dry on the pad you`re applying it with.

kcarter
10-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Can someone give me an idea of enough lube?

The clay is sliding effortlessly, comes up rather wet as well. I use a California Water Blade to dry the surface.

I did hit a dry spot once and noticed how the clay stuck a little. The marks I have are not like those; instead, they can only be seen under my Halogen lamp, and don`t buff out with a terry or MF. The clay was clean when I did it.

Detailing NY
10-20-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by kcarter

Can someone give me an idea of enough lube?

The clay is sliding effortlessly, comes up rather wet as well. I use a California Water Blade to dry the surface.

I did hit a dry spot once and noticed how the clay stuck a little. The marks I have are not like those; instead, they can only be seen under my Halogen lamp, and don`t buff out with a terry or MF. The clay was clean when I did it.

hard to say when it`s enough lub. So many perverted things i want to say right now ;)

clay needs to slide wthout any effort. i would say you want to spray some lube or water every couple of strokes. hmmmmmm

i stoped using lube and just use soapy water, its a lot cheaper and gives me the same results.

togwt
10-24-2003, 10:20 AM
I was given Zymol`s clay kit ($70 I think) but found out (just like NY detailer said) it works just as well (perhaps better) with Woolite and water. Note: I now use Clay Magic + Woolit/H2O

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect

Preachers Sheets
10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
If you think that smearing is bad, try using a Meguiars clay bar with soapy water. The clay smears on every other passes as it crumbles away and in your hand. The stuff is horrible it has no substance. When I had smearing issues; like someone else said I had to use Klasse AIO and 3M SMR in some spots (for quicker removal). Clay Magic never smeared on me, I`ll use a few gallons of soapy water so the surface is never dry.

10-31-2003, 01:20 PM
I`ve used megs clay with no probelms...............except I get very light swirls afterward (black paint). is this normal? would always plan on full detail if I was to clay anyway so I wasn`t to concerned about it.