PDA

View Full Version : compare/contrast new BF to Klasse on black.

blackntan
10-17-2003, 11:28 AM
I`m considering a polymer for my black miata. I`m looking at either Blackfire or Klasse. Which would you recommend and why?

I already have AIO, and use that as a prep as it`s my favorite polish/ mild abrasive i`ve found so far..

Would BF paint protection sit well on top of AIO, or would the BF GEP be a better fit?

Actually, it seems AIO and BF GEP serve the same purpose, correct?? If so, which is a better product?

Normally, i`d just go straight for Klasse,as I love the AIO, but the reviews i`ve read on both of them tend to say that BF looks better on darker colors..

Thanks!

hondaguy2582
10-17-2003, 12:05 PM
aio and bf2 worked great for me, then i tried klasse sg and it is awesome. However, bf2 always gave me the slickest paint, and lasted about 4 months.

tangix2001
10-17-2003, 12:32 PM
My truck is dark green, and I`ve tried Klasse and BF2. I prefer BF2. It went on and came off easier than anything I`ve used. I like the shine of both but I`d give BF2 the edge.:)

Patrick
10-17-2003, 06:59 PM
How about AIO, BF GEP, then BFPP.....

You will be amazed.....I believe AIo is a better cleaner, but I have issues with not using GEP b4 PP.....

Dont get me wrong, AIO, will work perfectly fine with PP, I think GEP, then PP is just a step better !

Accumulator
10-18-2003, 09:34 AM
blackntan- I have NOT done a black car in, oh, 20 years, but on silver, the SG and BFII look COMPLETELY different. I`d guess you`d like the BFII look better on black. BUT, the SG will protect better/longer (unbelievably long, if you put on 4-5 layers).

Have you considered P UPP? About the same look as BFII, at least after the first wash, but *I* found it a LOT easier to use.

As Patrick said, using the BF GEP first will PROBABLY give you the best "BF look" (we`re really splitting hairs here). But I use BF (and P UPP) over AIO and it works fine.

andriver
10-18-2003, 11:05 AM
I like BF2 on my wife`s Black Mustang. We have tried AIO & SG but the BF2 works better on wife`s car. However on my older Jeep, AIO & SG works best....Andrew

BK1
10-20-2003, 08:44 AM
I use AIO, SG and UPP on my Bright Metallic Silver Paint job. I didn`t notice as much reflectivity from the Blackfire as I would have liked.

blackntan
10-20-2003, 02:58 PM
I`m placing the order today, but have two more quick questions I`d like your opinions on before I order:

1) Which will provide better protection from the elements? (this ties into my post about being egged. Would either of these offered some protection against the etching I have now?)

2) I`ve heard that blackfire should not be topped with a carnuaba. What about SG? I love using S100. Would S100 give the SG the depth and life of blackfire?

maxshine
10-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Best protection - SG.

I haven`t heard that BF2 shouldn`t be topped. I used BF2 twice but got tired of the smearing. SG can give you hazing. I thought Classic Motoring stated not to top SG with Carnuba though many do.

Have you used any of these products ? You may want to just try AIO and top w/S100 and see how you like and go from there.

Also Platinum UPP seems to be another choice in the SG, BF2 arena.

tguil
10-20-2003, 09:55 PM
I have the full Blackfire group -- from the wash to the QD. I use it on a black full size Dodge pick up. I prefer not to layer it with carnauba. For a daily driver I think that would be over-kill and lots more work.

By the way, look before you "layer". Yesterday I put a second layer of protectant on my truck after washing it and doing what I thought was a good visual inspection. When I removed the sealant haze, I discovered that on the hood I had layered in some microsopic water marks or possibly some overspray residue that had been previously removed with clay. Dumb move. I went over the hood with my PC and DACP three times followed by two applications of BF polish. Then I resealed it. I now have one very slick and very black hood.

The rest of the truck looks great too. Blackfire is an excellent product, especially for dark colors, but when I use up my current supply, I think that I will go back to Mequiar`s MPPP. It`s more of a one step product.

Tom :cool:

blackntan
10-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Once again, thanks for the help.

I use AIO and S100/PS21 now, and although it looks incredible, the protection it gives against the elements, washing, and unfortunatly eggs, is subpar. I want something I can use in the winter during the horrible Phillly/ South Jersey winters and protect the car.

I still haven`t made a decision.. I guess they`re that close...

Patrick
10-20-2003, 10:21 PM
The issues with not topping BFPP or Klasse Sg, relating to Carnauba: Once topped with a Carnauba, you cant reapply BFPP or Sg with any real benefit. It may look like youve accomplished something, but theres a bonding issue on the Carnauba.....

tguil
10-21-2003, 07:40 AM
For maximum protection, you might want to consider Meguiar`s Medallion Premium Paint Protection or #20 Sealant. Both look great on black and are easy to apply.

Tom

Accumulator
10-21-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by blackntan

...I use AIO and S100/PS21 now, and although it looks incredible, the protection it gives against the elements, washing, and unfortunatly eggs, is subpar. I want something I can use in the winter during the horrible Phillly/ South Jersey winters and protect the car...I still haven`t made a decision.. I guess they`re that close...

Hmm.. that strikes me as odd. Are you putting on multiple layers of SG? I can easily get through an entire (Ohio) winter with SG, and many more months after THAT. I sometimes only SG my cars once a YEAR, but when I do it, I put on many layers.

Topping (multiple layers of) SG with Collinite would DEFINITELY get you through the winter, unless you`re doing something weird when you wash.

blackntan
10-21-2003, 11:31 AM
I only have AIO right now. No SG at all.

My only protection is S100, which is fine for summer, but not for winter. That`s why i`m looking at blackfire and SG. I think i`m going to go with SG, and see how that goes. When I run out of Klasse i`ll switch to the blackfire set, but I don`t wanna have the Klasse and Blackfire stuff both sitting around. Miata`s are small. It`d take me the rest of my life to use both products...