PDA

View Full Version : 1z on polymer sealants

hondaguy2582
10-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Apparently, 1z says that polymer sealants like klasse aio and sg(my fav. combo), and zaino are harmful to the paint by letting it not breath. If any of you(and I know ppl have used klasse for years) experienced any problems with polymer sealants, or is information like this just bs to promote their products?

Steve @ Guru
10-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Ugh. I hope they aren`t serious about that. If they are, I just lost respect for their products.

I`ll say it again:

PAINT IS DEAD. IT DOESN`T BREATHE.

imported_Greg
10-16-2003, 10:15 PM
I hope you just confused 1z w/ Zymol, because I am of the same opinion as Steve. Where did you read this situation?

BTW: I believe you, I wasn`t saying you goofed the two up.

imported_chpsk8
10-16-2003, 10:21 PM
Paint does need to cure for a lot longer than most people think. But by the time a new car gets to you through the dealer it is fully cured. Now, if you painted a car and hit it with Zaino the next week, yes, I think you would have problems.

hondaguy2582
10-16-2003, 11:46 PM
1z says it where they describe polymers and waxes(i believe its in acrobat or something)

Steve @ Guru
10-17-2003, 12:25 AM
Well, I believe Glanz Wax (from Einszett) is a polymer/synthetic product, right?

I took this info direct from Einszett:

"Long-lasting protective wax for a brilliant shine. Does not contain abrasives. Synthetic wax base formula contains water-resistant and protective ingredients that protect paintwork against weathering, environmental grime and salt. For all paintwork finishes including clear-coat."

DETAILKING
10-17-2003, 12:28 AM
This excerpt is from Sal Zaino, a custom Painter with 30 yrs experience.......

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

".,...Late model paint technology doesn`t breathe, that`s an

old myth.. once it cures that`s it..... The older lacquers and enamels

needed time for the solvents to evaporate and release, that is where the

term "paint breathes" comes from. Wax would seal the paint and prevent

the solvents from

releasing. This led to a whole bunch of paint related problems. That`s

why paint manufacturers still tell you not to apply WAX for thirty days.

Because WAX does not let the paint breathe.. and actually suffocates

it. All urethane paints and late technology paints use a catalyst for

hardening and

curing. The paint is fully cured in about 36 to 72 hours. You may polish a

new car as soon as you get it.

That factory paint is already cured and needs protection against

airborne contaminants and UV rays. Think about it....how does your paint breath through it`s clear coat?!?.........."

imported_Macgirl
10-17-2003, 08:11 AM
from einszett`s Detailing Guide PDF......

Keep in mind that polymer waxes are not to be confused with polymer sealants. Polymer sealants are also synthetic but are acrylic-based and were designed with convenience in mind. Sealants are applied approximately once a year on the surface of the paintwork creating a semi-permanent acrylic coating on the surface. The downside to polymer sealants is that they provide a non-breathable coating on the surface of the paint. This is why you will not find sealants in professional paint shops and it is also why paint manufacturers such as BASF (the German-based parent company of Glasurit which produces paint for the majority of European automotive marquees including Porsche) will not endorse the products. So why are they available? They were created for those who want to maintain their car’s show room appearance without investing the time and effort required with polishing and waxing. Simply put, it’s a quick and easy solution for car care. But as we all know, taking short cuts produces rather lackluster results. Unlike polymer sealants, polymer waxes imitate real wax and therefore allow the paintwork to “breathe†and flex. For this reason, some automobile manufacturers, BMW for example, state the use of either a carnauba or synthetic wax for protection in their car maintenance manuals.

Now, I like einszett but this looks like marketing propaganda to promote Glanz Wax. I always thought the "breathing" was the off-gasing of solvents in the fresh paint and once it was cured you were safe to use whatever you liked on it. Steve, looks like they just lost some respect. Maybe Michael from einszett is monitoring the forum and will weigh in on this......

imported_f150smith
10-17-2003, 09:18 AM
If you read any of the marketing hype for any of the companies you will always find that have a way of manipulating the data and information which best suits there products. I`m sure if you talked to 100 professional painters, all the car companies and dealers you would get at least as many answers for what is better. Why is that many dealers offer there so-called dealer applied paint sealants which will last as long as you own the car. Yea right!!!!!! I know an excellent painter who does restoration work and he uses Duragloss products and swears by them. I have used the 1Z polishes(which i really like a lot) and have emailed Michael about using it as topper over KSG or layering it over itself. He was very prompt to answer my question and provided lots of info on the use of there products. He never once suggested that any of my regime was flawed or bad for my paint or finish. All in all, i`m sure he is just using the info that 1Z provides from there European website.

hondaguy2582
10-17-2003, 10:11 AM
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that polymer waxes are not to be confused with polymer sealants. Polymer sealants are also synthetic but are acrylic-based and were designed with convenience in mind. Sealants are applied approximately once a year on the surface of the paintwork creating a semi-permanent acrylic coating on the surface. The downside to polymer sealants is that they provide a non-breathable coating on the surface of the paint. This is why you will not find sealants in professional paint shops and it is also why paint manufacturers such as BASF (the German-based parent company of Glasurit which produces paint for the majority of European automotive marquees including Porsche) will not endorse the products. So why are they available? They were created for those who want to maintain their car’s show room appearance without investing the time and effort required with polishing and waxing. Simply put, it’s a quick and easy solution for car care. But as we all know, taking short cuts produces rather lackluster results. Unlike polymer sealants, polymer waxes imitate real wax and therefore allow the paintwork to “breathe†and flex. For this reason, some automobile manufacturers, BMW for example, state the use of either a carnauba or synthetic wax for protection in their car maintenance manuals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thats what i was trying to post on here macgirl, thanks for bringing it in.

Bill D
10-17-2003, 01:56 PM
I`m still wondering if using an acrylic sealant like sg over 1z metallic polish (red polish) or car polish (green can) will cause problems and if so, does 1z offer a pro (?) products(s) uneffected by the use of acrylic sealants. I did contact 1z but the answer seemed indefinite to me. Is there anyone out there who uses the 1z products with Klasse? Do they do a nice job of eliminating scratches and are there any problems applying the Klasse as the final step? Thanks.