PDA

View Full Version : questions about swirls and winter protection

lochsa
10-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Hello all-

I am new to the forum, but have been looking around and researching the site for a couple of days now. I think I may be ready to ask some questions...

I have a 2001 dodge dakota with flame red paint. Has a pretty fair amount of swirls in my estimation. The truck is new to me, and I am new to proper care... I have meguiar`s professional products available to me, but little else unless I order off the net. I would like to do some work to it this weekend. No PC, at least until xmas :D so this will be by hand. I am thinking of doing/using the following...

car shampoo

DACP - if i can find it, little tougher to come by around here

Should I try to strip off any old wax before I do the normal wash (Dawn?)

Let me know if this seems like a good course of action for the paint and if it will be durable in a cold, icy but no road salt kinda environment for the winter (missoula, mt). I will be using 303 on the tires (have that for my raft as well!) and interior. Can I use armour all for the wheel wells to keep some of the road crap off?

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post...

Accumulator
10-16-2003, 05:01 PM
lochsa - Welcome to Autopia. Short answers: add clay to your regimen, do it either during or after your wash. No, you do NOT need to do anything special to remove existing wax. DO get the DACP, the SMR will PROBABLY not be strong enough. Or, if you can get it, 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937) works OK and is often available at the same places that sell Meguiar`s pro stuff. Other than that you`re all set, sounds good.

You might consider ordering some Collinite wax to use instead of or over the #26. It`ll last almost forever, a lot longer than the #26. You can find their local distributor or by it over the phone.

Yes, armor-all in the wheel wells can help keep some of the stuff from sticking.

Oh, and use a good shampoo and some good mitts and MF towels to help minimize wash/dry-induced swirls.

Heh heh, your post wasn`t long by MY standards :D

lochsa
10-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks a lot for the input. I will try to find the dacp or 3m, and if I can`t find it i`ll get it ordered for spring!

I`ve got microfiber towels and a chenille mitt, but thinking of getting a sheepskin mitt instead.

Again, thanks for the input. I`ll let you know how it goes and try to post a pic...

Johnny Lochsa