PDA

View Full Version : Klasse Durability issues

LouisanaJeeper
10-15-2003, 11:23 PM
OK, here is what has been done

Dawn Wash

AIO x2

SGx2

Then I washed it weekly 2 or three times (Mother`s Gold Class + Sheepskin mit). After each wash it seemed less and less slick and beading was noticably reduced. I have a Zainoed vehicle which beads like crazy for months on end and always feels really slick with washings or not (I was expecting similar results with the SG)

BTW, I have been applying the SG with a damp (distilled h20) applicator, let sit for 20-30 minutes then buffing with a MF. 24 hours between coats. Probably about 1oz product/ coat used

What am I doing wrong, or is this the nature of the product?

imported_Tony
10-16-2003, 02:59 AM
Beading:http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21757&highlight=Klasse+and+beading

Accumulator
10-16-2003, 10:24 AM
LouisanaJeeper- HMMM... my Klasse SG keeps beading and feeling just-SGed for many, many months through innumerable washes :nixweiss

Note that SG has a slightly different "feel" compared to other products, but that particular "feel" doesn`t go away FOR ME after just a few washes.

Also, as mentioned in Rightlane`s link, beading is NOT the most reliable indicator of a SG`s durability. BUT..I do find it puzzling that yours stops beading so soon.

MAYBE you`re using too strong a wash solution, but *I* sometimes mix mine up QUITE strong and I even spot-clay all the time. SG does NOT have that "non-stick" effect that some other products have, so anything you can do to avoid "rubbing" the surface when you wash, while STILL getting it clean, will help your SG last. Maybe your shampoo isn`t slippery enough and you`re lightly abrading the surface with your mitt (enough to wear off the SG). GC is NOT of sufficiently high lubricity for MY taste; I use Griot`s Car Wash. It does NOT degrade my SG to a noticeable degree. I`d try using a higher-lubricity shampoo (this is not the ONLY shampoo characteristic of importance, but *I* do find it quite significant).

KRMan
10-16-2003, 02:11 PM
I may be way off base, but did you say you used a wet\damp applicator to apply SG? if so, then that may be your culprit. you are supposed to use a damp applicator for AIO, but for SG it should be a dry applicator. The water on the applicator may be diluting the SG.

2wheelsx2
10-16-2003, 02:40 PM
No, that`s not it. Many people use a slightly damp applicator for SG to help get an evenly thin coat. I believe that Accumulator is correctly in that SG doesn`t feel slick like Z, or some of the other sealants/hybrid sealants out there. But the protection is still there. My car is outside 24/7 with 2 coats of SG, and I started to think that the SG was wearing off after 2 months, but after a thorough wash and dry....water beads up on the paint like crazy.

LouisanaJeeper
10-16-2003, 03:03 PM
OK, then that is it. I`m probably just was expecting it to be a bit more like Zaino, which I am more familiar with.

thanks

LOTA OT
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
I`ve had the same experience when washing with GC....it seems to sheet a lot on SG. Beads right up with rain though.

Michael

endus
10-17-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by KRMan

I may be way off base, but did you say you used a wet\damp applicator to apply SG? if so, then that may be your culprit. you are supposed to use a damp applicator for AIO, but for SG it should be a dry applicator. The water on the applicator may be diluting the SG.

I swear I read this somewhere too, but the instructions that come with the Klasse say to damped the applicator with water or QD. I used Sg for the first time last weekend and was confused about this...I ended up dampening it.

rashenup
10-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by endus

I swear I read this somewhere too, but the instructions that come with the Klasse say to damped the applicator with water or QD. I used Sg for the first time last weekend and was confused about this...I ended up dampening it.

I don`t have the bottles in front of me to double check, but IIRC the istructions for AIO call for a damp applicator, whereas the instructions for SG say to use a dry applicator.

Of course I`ve seen many times people here have had good results dampening the SG applicator with a SG safe QD, so the instructions may be a *touch* on the safe side as far as preventing unwanted reactions.

Anyways this is just what I remember, I`m sure someone will be able to confirm this, or correct it.

imported_f150smith
10-17-2003, 09:04 AM
In all the instructions and post that I`ve read on KSG it states to apply with a dry applicator. The only exception was a post by DaivdB on mixing Sonus QD with KSG in a spray bottle and the spraying this on your dry applicator. I`ve been using this mix of 3 ounces KSG to one ounce Sonus QD and so far have applied 3 coats to me supercrew and it is by far the easiest method i`ve found. It goes on superthin and wipes off with little effort.