PDA

View Full Version : Scratches from dirty clay !

gusto
10-15-2003, 10:35 PM
I accidentally dropped my clay bar this weekend while claying my car for the first time. It didn`t seem to pick up any particles so I kept using the bar. I put two coats of zymol wax, but know i`m starting to see minor scratches. Are these scraches in the clear coat or in the paint. What should I do know ? Please Help !

titus
10-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Dropped a clay bar! :shocked First thing: Throw that clay bar very far away.

gusto
10-16-2003, 01:32 AM
The scratches are not that deep, I can`t feel them. Do I have to remove the wax before I use the scratch remover ?

gusto
10-16-2003, 01:46 AM
I Just read about 3m swirl mark remover, should I give that a try ?

Accumulator
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
gusto- As others have said, NEVER use contaminated clay. Clay is a RENEWABLE resource, but your paint/clearcoat is not. Try cutting the claybar into small pieces before claying so that if you drop it you`re only out a little piece and use a NEW piece for each panel.

*IMO* the SMR might be too mild to remove your scratches. Maybe try 3M`s PI-III MG (pn 05937) if the SMR doesn`t (literally) cut it.

No need to remove your wax first, the abrasive you use to remove the marring will just cut through it. After all, you remove the scratches by abrading away your paint/clearcoat which is a LOT tougher than your wax.

gusto
10-16-2003, 02:26 PM
The scratches are only visible in certain lighting. I would say that they are more swirl marks rather than scrathces because when i used the clay bar I was only going in one direction, and the swirls marks are in multiple directions. What can I use to get rid of these swirls.

Also, I am considering buying the zeino products, will the intro kit provide the right products to get rid of these swirls ?

kg/cm²
10-16-2003, 02:28 PM
the Zaino products won`t do jack on your swirls...only enhance them...go with Accumulator`s advice and get the 3M PI-III MG...that`s what i use on a majority of my swirls...

Preachers Sheets
10-16-2003, 03:20 PM
If you have the 3M SMR then I would give that a shot, you did say the marks are very small so it could of been anything that created them from claying, washing, drying, applying or removing the wax.

gusto
10-16-2003, 06:35 PM
So should i follow the 3M SMR with the Zaion products ?

GoodnClean
10-16-2003, 07:17 PM
Its "Zaino" pronounced "Zay-no" they`ll be a test at the end of the week ;)

I also reccomend the P!-IIIMG based on what I`ve heard here, just got mine and am going to use it tomorrow to remove some light DACP haze.

Do you have a PC?

C-MDX
10-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

Its "Zaino" pronounced "Zay-no"

I thought it`s call "Za-in-no" all the time :eek:. Am I wrong here (sorry to interub)