PDA

View Full Version : Polish .vs. Glaze - questions

Young_Stallion
10-15-2003, 07:01 PM
from what I understand you glaze to remove minor swirls and imperfections and polish for more serious...never polish and glaze on the same day detailing.

Is this correct....just confused about a few things.

hondaguy2582
10-15-2003, 07:18 PM
glaze hides swirls(im not including 3ms machine glaze in this category), and don`t eliminate them. Actual polishes abrade the surface to eliminate swirls and scratches.

Young_Stallion
10-15-2003, 07:29 PM
So do not use both at once? when do you use what?

I was planning on, for my first test method using:

Polish - Vanilla moose or Clean touch machine glaze or s100

Glaze - Vanilla Moose, or P21

Polymer - Menzerna(sp) Final Polish

Wax - S100 or lear Kote carnauba wax

am I forgetting a step? doing something wrong? Adding in one to many steps?

Deanski
10-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Menzerna-FP is a polish and not a sealant.

Sealants such as Zaino, Megs #20, Klasse have one thing in common. Finish should be as swirl or marring free as possible as most enhance the swirls/marring.

Wash, clay, polish, remove polish oils, then sealant.

If you need more info on Zaino tips: Nick`s Zaino Tips (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23601&highlight=Zaino+tips)

It can also be applied to other sealants.

I`ve used DACP, 3M PIII-MG, Menzerna-FP and Megs HP or substitute 3M with Megs SFP, then Menzerna-FP and Megs HP.

Regards,

Deanski

Young_Stallion
10-15-2003, 07:49 PM
So my third step is in the wrong place or just a duplicate of another step?

I do not need tips on zaino as I currently have 134+ coats on since april. I like(d) zaino for its ease of use but it is no where close to providing the best shine or protection at that

shaf
10-15-2003, 09:06 PM
I`m not up to snuff on Menzerna products, but it sounds like just a really fine polish, like a swirl remover, and not a glaze (it claims NO fillers) or a sealant. http://www.properautocare.com/menfinpol.html

People often use both abrasive polishes of whatever grade is necessary to remove the swirls, and then follow that up with a non-abrasive glaze (or nearly non-abrasive like P21S GEPC) to add more shine and wetness to the paint. It fills in the microscopic defects that are invisible.

Glazes and the fillers in some polishes however, are generally not really compatible with polymer sealants, hence the Dawn wash step for Zaino, or the use of AIO for Klasse. They need to stick to clean paint and don`t really like sticking to fillers/oils. Regular carnauba-type waxes are fine with them of course.

Young_Stallion
10-15-2003, 09:11 PM
thanks...