PDA

View Full Version : clay bar over zaino?

wdawg
10-15-2003, 12:52 PM
just curious if it was ok to use a clay bar over zaino?

From what I`ve read it doesn`t seem like a good idea

but I don`t have any GEPC or any polish to take zaino

off. My car recently got hit in the bumper and I`m getting

it back from the shop soon. I`d like to clay bar my car since

I think that many of the containaments in the shop will

end up on my paint. Should I just wait to buy some GEPC to take

off the zaino then dawn & clay bar it? or should I just clay over zaino, wash with z7, then z5 it again?

thanks in advance!

kg/cm²
10-15-2003, 01:41 PM
you can just clay over the zaino...no need to remove it first...most likely any contaminents accrued from the shop would be on the zaino layer anyways...

wdawg
10-15-2003, 02:01 PM
thanks for the response.. curious? does claying remove zaino?

I`ve got like 3 layers of zaino currently.

kg/cm²
10-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Zaino is some pretty tough stuff...at most, claying will possibly weaken the protection...better to be safe than sorry... so if it was ->me<- I would just reapply...

chris0626
10-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Last year when I was learning all about Zaino, somebody said clay will remove less than .5 coat of Zaino. I clayed my Zaino car occasionally thru last fall. Never saw a problem. As long as you take care that you`re applying more Z than you`re removing, you should be fine.

When it comes springtime and you really want to remove Zaino to do some polishing/fine-tuning, spritz it with a 50% alcohol solution.

BTW, I`d be cautious about using GEPC/SEC under Zaino. I seem to recall they have fillers, which typically means oils, over which Zaino will not really bond all that well. Just a thought ...

wdawg
10-17-2003, 01:39 PM
Thanks for replying guys.

Lynn, what I was planning to do was clay bar it as soon as I get it out of the shop and re-apply a few coats of Z5. If I didn`t like the results of the clay bar and find that the auto body shop created some swirls I was going to use GEPC/SEC to take off Zaino completely, then dawn wash, then re-apply a couple of layers of Z5. Then top that off with s100/ps1s carnuba.

I always thought that if I dawn wash I would get rid of the fillers/oils? Is there anything I`m missing here?

C-MDX
10-17-2003, 04:47 PM
You mean Z2 right??? Z5 is a polish and I don`t think you need to apply a couple coats of it.

chris0626
10-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by wdawg

Thanks for replying guys.

Lynn, what I was planning to do was clay bar it as soon as I get it out of the shop and re-apply a few coats of Z5. If I didn`t like the results of the clay bar and find that the auto body shop created some swirls I was going to use GEPC/SEC to take off Zaino completely, then dawn wash, then re-apply a couple of layers of Z5. Then top that off with s100/ps1s carnuba.

I always thought that if I dawn wash I would get rid of the fillers/oils? Is there anything I`m missing here?

OK. I understand. Sounds right to me. Yes, Dawn should handle the fillers/oils. But I hadn`t heard about using GEPC/SEC to remove Zaino. Does that really work?

And, contrary to what C-MDX said, you can "layer" Z5 just like you layer Z2. But I bet you already know that. :D

wdawg
10-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Welp guess what guys? I just got my car back from the body shop.. Paint job was done well and the lines all match up like how a MB is supposed to look but yes they created swirls.. They don`t seem too bad but I`d like to stay away from buying a PC. (I don`t trust myself with one) Is there a specific polish that I can try, that will take out the swirls by hand buffing? From what I remember GEPC/SEC is not abrassive enough to take out the swirls.

I`m pretty upset since this is a new car and it has under 2k miles on it :mad:

Lynn,

I posted here before and someone replied to me that GEPC/SEC would cut right through Zaino and remove it.

Ya, I knew that you could layer Z5 from searching for tips on the best way to use Zaino :xyxthumbs

Deanski
10-20-2003, 07:27 PM
Yes, you CAN remove swirls w/o a PC. Get some 100% cotton towels for your polishing. First, try Megs #9. If this does not remove them, time to step up to DACP, then back to #9. For the mirror shine, go down to Megs HP.

If you clay, chances are the Zaino will be removed.

Once the paint has cured, you can re-apply Zaino. Wait for the paint to fully cure B4 you apply Zaino! Most new paint is heat cured in a oven, but if you have a garage, park it there for a day or more, open the door and if you still smell "paint fume", it`s not cured as the VOC`s are still migrating out.

Polishing will not effect it as long as the polish is "bodyshop" safe.

Enjoy the new finish!

Regards,

Deanski

wdawg
10-20-2003, 07:39 PM
first of all, THANK YOU for all the replies... Seriously this is probably one of the best sites/forums I`ve been on. I`ve been

on the net for over 6 years and I`ve never spent so much time

on 1 page. :D You guys should charge for membership :p

Deanski,

I park in the garage everyday. I haven`t smelled any paint fumes.

But I`m still going to give it a couple more days and also do more

research here. I always had the impression from reading posts

that DACP should be used with a PC?

One thing I`m going to do for sure is post some before and after pics..

Thanks again and pls post if you have any other suggestions.