PDA

View Full Version : Applying Klasse Sealant Glaze over 3M IHG

KMHPaladin
10-15-2003, 12:47 AM
I realize that Klasse and glazes have been discussed before. I read the first 8 pages of the Detailing and Product Discussion forums and searched for "klasse ihg" but couldn`t find a definitive answer for my situation.

The situation is, I did a `winter detail` this weekend while at home, since I won’t be back from college again until Thanksgiving. I applied a coat of 3M IHG, two coats of Klasse SG, and a coat of Meguiar’s Gold Class wax. My rationale for omitting the AIO in favor of IHG was that my car is a 97 A4, with some swirling and minor scratches, and that it would benefit from the fillers in the IHG that AIO, from what I could see, lacks.

I was very happy with the deep and glossy shine the SG imparted. That feeling vanished when I was reading around the Autopia main page last night, which portrayed All In One is as a “sealant” and SG as something more like a gloss enhancer. Reading around these forums, on the other hand, has given the impression that AIO offers very little in the way of "sealing," but that it does provide a clean base for the SG to bond to, and that IHG may be too `volatile` for the SG to bond to.

Okay, so enough background. My car will be sitting outside during the winter in the Albany NY area, and I want to make sure it’s well protected. I`m worried that SG over IHG will not be sufficiently durable to last the winter. What do the Klasse veterans recommend? Will the IHG negate the sealing aspects of Sealant Glaze?

Thanks for your time.

DBC
10-15-2003, 01:56 AM
I have and still use Klasse,im no chemist but from what i understand the oils from the IHG and the chemical make up of SG will inhibit the bonding of SG to IHG so i think that your SG wont last that long.Thats why youre supposed to use AIO first as your base as it helps sets up the paint for the SG to recieve or as some others have tried with success Zaino over AIO and then with a carnauba topper of their choice.I think Showroom Lincoln has tried it if i remember.

Robert

jeremyp111
10-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Exactly! You`re going to have to wash, AIO, SG(3-6 coats preferably, but at least 2) to get the protection you want. AIO will remove anything thats on there so don`t worry too much about prepping all over again. Take your car to a self serve car wash bay on a SLOW day and do it there if you can`t do it at home for a while. That`s how I used to detail my car when I lived in an apartment back in the day. Weeknights are usually a good time to do this.

Good luck,

Jeremy

KMHPaladin
10-15-2003, 06:25 PM
I`m not sure why this was moved to the "new to detailing" forum.

At any rate, thank you robert and jeremy. Not the answers I was hoping for, but what I was expecting. Unfortunately I didn`t bring any of my supplies back to school with me, so I`m just going to have to monopolize the garage when I go back home. From what I`ve read, AIO doesn`t do a terrific job on swirled paint. Is there any kind of product that would work with the Klasse twins to cut down on the effect of swirls?

Thanks again.

imported_Greg
10-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by KMHPaladin

I`m not sure why this was moved to the "new to detailing" forum.

At any rate, thank you robert and jeremy. Not the answers I was hoping for, but what I was expecting. Unfortunately I didn`t bring any of my supplies back to school with me, so I`m just going to have to monopolize the garage when I go back home. From what I`ve read, AIO doesn`t do a terrific job on swirled paint. Is there any kind of product that would work with the Klasse twins to cut down on the effect of swirls?

Thanks again.

This was moved to the University because no offense or anything, but a very basic question and one that has been answered many times. A sealant cannot bond to the oils in IHG, especially SG.

KMHPaladin
10-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Alright Greg, point taken. Thanks for being gentle. ;)

jeremyp111
10-16-2003, 06:31 AM
Klasse twins tend to bring out the flaws in the paint including swirl marks. I started using Poorboys EX Sealant on top of AIO/SG because it tends to hide them. Plus it is very durable and really brings out a fantastic shine too. Oh by the way it`s also extremely easy to apply too, just wipe on, wait 30-60 minutes and wipe off.

Good luck commandeering the garage from your `rents.

Jeremy

imported_Greg
10-16-2003, 08:23 AM
I would suggest downloading the e-book, it has basically all the questions you are asking answered. Also utilize the search function for things like "swirls" "sealant" "Klasse" "AIO" "SG"

All of these will yield many threads in which you can gain knowledge.