PDA

View Full Version : Better than MF ?

Pages : [1] 2

SK2003TypeS
10-14-2003, 08:52 AM
I just stopped by a Detail shop this morning to drop off my friends car. I was talking to the owner and he showed me a new towel that he had. It was a 16x16 towel, was insanely soft and wasn`t a MF. It felt like a 400 thread count bed sheet. It looked like 3Ms detailing cloth. He told me that MFs aren`t as good because the overall idea of MFs it to "trap" and pick up stuff. So in essence, you`re picking up wax/sealant instead of leaving it there.

Of course with personal experience and a lot of people here, I`ve had great success with MFs. Any Comments ?

airjames
10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Ummmm,

I find that statement "picking up wax/sealant" hard to believe and he might be streching the truth alittle. But that`s just me. Last time I took a look at 3M`s detailing cloth, it was yellow with the red 3M symbol on the corner of it. I saw it on a 3M detailing videos they have on there automotive site. Waxes and sealants dry to form a protective barrier, sealants tend to be a harder longer lasting barrier. Yea your picking up wax/sealant if you use a MF to buff out the residue but I don`t think your wiping off the protective barrier. Just my $.02,,,,,,91

medic159
10-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Sounds to me like he was spouting to you what the salesman spouted to him.

Bill D
10-14-2003, 03:17 PM
I think there was mention here recently of a new kind of fiber supposed to be better than mf, maybe a more advanced mf ? On the look out for it if it comes around.

medic159
10-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I think there was mention here recently of a new kind of fiber supposed to be better than mf, maybe a more advanced mf ? On the look out for it if it comes around.

That doesn`t make any sense actually. MF strictly refers to the diameter of the yarn that is used. If it is below a certain size (based on the content) it is considered a MF. So a better or worse size really doesn`t apply. Nor does MF refer to any particular fiber.

Bill D
10-14-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks,

I had no clue about the particulars of the mf industry but I am very interested in new cloths supposedly even better than what is currently on the market :)

imported_Aurora40
10-14-2003, 06:44 PM
Check out DFTowel`s website. It has some good info on microfiber and the various fibers. www.dftowel.com

imported_rajs
10-14-2003, 07:19 PM
I think you might be refering to the Dupont Line of products called Sontara.

http://www.sontara.com/productpages/sps/polish/pol_home.html

Deanski
10-14-2003, 08:08 PM
MF towels have their use in paint finish wax removal etc.

BUT, for QD and final buff work, you cannot beat the DFTowels!

My vote: DFTOWEL! You NEED one for QD work PERIOD!

Keep the MF`s for wax removal and other items.

Just as there are special products for paint prep, same goes for towels!

Another one, offered by this site: Autopia CBT.

Regards,

Deanski

chris0626
10-14-2003, 11:47 PM
Deanski, I was having a similar thought: If you haven`t tried Autopia`s CBT or DFTowels, then you don`t know what a MF can be.

I use regular MFs for relatively-"rough" work, but only use the Autopia CBT for final polish/QD work, because they`re so much softer. Like the salesman in this thread, I have felt that MFs "trap" stuff and -- because of their very-short pile -- I never use one for very long (which is why I own about 30 of those puppies!) before swapping it out for a fresh one.

But ... long story short ... I`d be inclined to trust DFTowel`s comments in this thread.

SK2003TypeS
10-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all the input ! I guess I was just taking what he was saying without considering the marketing side. And of course he was saying some things where I disagreed, but everyone`s got an opinion. Too use to talking to everyone here. :)

I haven`t tried the DFTowel or the CBT. I have 10 Pakshaks and a few from CMA,etc. Just another thing to add to the cart. I`m have not been into the daily QD routine. I`ll do it for a week after a fresh coat of Zaino, but that`s about it. Then I just aim to wash weekly and Z6.

imported_Aurora40
10-15-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Deanski

My vote: DFTOWEL! You NEED one for QD work PERIOD!

I agree completely. The DFTowel is simply amazing for QD work. :bow :eek: :bow :spot

shep01
10-15-2003, 07:02 PM
i love the df towels - i consider them the best by far. they do not line ever! i started using them for qding. i tried one on the glass and i have never used anything else since. do a double pass, the second one allowing the friction to polish the glass. i recently used the towel to take off was. no big surprise - it is amazing.

chris0626
10-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

I haven`t tried the DFTowel or the CBT. I have 10 Pakshaks and a few from CMA,etc. Just another thing to add to the cart. I`m have not been into the daily QD routine. I`ll do it for a week after a fresh coat of Zaino, but that`s about it. Then I just aim to wash weekly and Z6.

I understand. I don`t QD daily either. But here`s one tip: I sometimes experienced streaking with Z6, using a 100% cotton or a regular MF. Switched to Autopia`s CBT, and have never had that problem again. :up

Would really suggest you try the DFTowel or CBT. They`ll make your favorite bath towels feel positively "harsh" by comparison! :D

GoodnClean
10-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Interesting, since its getting cooler and I`ve been using the touchless wash I`ve been S&W`ing when I get home to get a perfect clean. I might just look into a DFT or a CBT for that...