PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat Still There???

phil7533
10-13-2003, 12:13 AM
I was polishing my dads 92 lexus with meguiars polish that i bought at Kragen...and I noticed the cloth was turning black.... does that mean the clear coat is not there any more??

scottabir
10-13-2003, 12:15 AM
maybe it`s not clearcoated to begin with.

GoodnClean
10-13-2003, 01:11 AM
Yep, many black Lexus are unclearcoated.

Young_Stallion
10-13-2003, 11:27 PM
New cars do not come clear coated? Why the hell not? How do you tell?

CRXSi90
10-14-2003, 12:11 AM
`92 isn`t exactly new, but if your cloth turns the color of the car when polishing or sometimes even waxing, then you have no clearcoat.

Some new car...might have been a Lexus, comes without a clearcoat, but only on BLACK. I think it had something to do with the appearance itself, or the appearance of swirls and scratches being less. I`m not the person who decided, so I can`t tell you for sure. :p

Most new cars seem to come with clearcoats, though.

Kevin

P.S. I actually like working with non-clearcoated paint better...I dunno why. I guess that is where I have the most experience.

~one plus, most scratches will show up the color of the paint, not white, as it will with a clearcoat.

I wonder what is so great about clearcoats anyway? With paint technology, dulling shouldn`t be an issue any more than clear, I wouldn`t think. I wonder what the advantage is, expecially on non-metallics.