PDA

View Full Version : Nothing went right with a Suburban detail today...except the end results

Scottwax
10-12-2003, 10:38 PM
I had scheduled a Suburban for a customer today at noon. She calls at 11 AM and asks if I can move her back to 2 PM because something had come up. Suburbans can take a good 5 hours to detail, so I told her that would be okay, but I`d have to start at 2 PM sharp because it is dark by about 7:15 PM now.

I get there at 2 PM and she, her husband and kids are unloading stuff from the Suburban....and more stuff, and more stuff... I got out my vacuum and interior cleaners and notice the whole bottom half of the Suburban was caked in mud. All over the wheels, the fenderwells, etc. Crap. Already looking at an extra 15-20 minutes just to blast all that out. Then I look inside. What a pigsty! All sorts of crap stuck to the carpets, debris everywhere, etc. Damn Suburban is only 6 months old too. Anyway, it took me about 40 minutes just to vacuum it out. It cleaned up pretty quickly though since the newer Suburbans have much better carpet than the older ones and leather is pretty easy to clean.

Now to the outside. First I had to get rid off all the mud along the bottom, then turn my attention to the white shoe polish splatterings that were all over the back half. When her daughter`s soccer team was in the playoffs, they wrote all over the windows with shoe polish and then, instead of scrapping it off with a razor blade, they took it down to a coin-op car wash and tried to blast it off, which only succeeded in getting it all over the paint and trim. I bladed the rest of the windows, and washed the exterior.

I had to use DACP to remove the specs of shoe polish on the paint and trim, then I used a VM on the whole exterior. I was in the middle of waxing it with Carnauba Moose when it started to rain! WTF? No damn rain in the forecast, but here it comes. I knock on the door to let the husband know that it is raining and I need to move the Suburban under the carport. By then the whole damn thing was soaking wet, so it took me an extra 20 minutes of so to dry it off again. Aaaargh! By now it was after 7 PM and I still had to finish waxing it, clean the windows, dress the leather and vinyl inside and the tires and fenderwells. I didn`t get done until after 8 PM but the damn truck looked really good. They couldn`t believe how nice the interior looked. Of course, too dark for pics even under the carport, and I didn`t get any before pics of the interior because they were outside and I figured they would be embarassed if I took pics while it was still nasty inside.

Oh well, I did get paid cash with a $20 tip...but it was still frustrating as hell today.

Patrick
10-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Scott, is she a regular ?

Do you use VM and MW for regular clients, or upgrade to a polymer for 1st timers....

My reasoning being, I could see someone using MW, if the client is a regular, and you know they`ll be back in a few months...But if its someone who has never come to you before, wouldnt you want to show them your work is durable ?

Scottwax
10-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Patrick, she only gets her Suburbans detailed once a year and even a polymer isn`t going to last that long. Honestly, with the way the interior looked, I don`t think cleanliness is a priority with them. I`ve tried to convince her that it should at least be waxed about 4 times a year, but she still only calls once a year in the fall for a detail. They trade them in every two years anyway, so I think they spend just what they think they need so it still has good value at trade in.

Oh, and since I don`t have pics of this one, here is a pic of a similar Suburban I did over the summer.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992002_Suburban_richards.jpg

Patrick
10-12-2003, 11:08 PM
And thats strictly VM and MW ? Or was there a cleaner beforehand......Nice shot Scott, looks like a virgin burban....

Scottwax
10-12-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Patrick

And thats strictly VM and MW ? Or was there a cleaner beforehand......Nice shot Scott, looks like a virgin burban....

VM and Carnauba Moose, yes. The Suburban was a 2002 and he got it in late 2001, so it was about 18 months old or so when I detailed it. He has me wash whatever he drives to the office every Wednesday, so his vehicles are usually in pretty good shape...except when his wife spills a Sonic Cherry Limeade in them.

imported_Aurora40
10-13-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I She calls at 11 AM and asks if I can move her back to 2 PM because something had come up.

Noticed your new sig, so did you use this extra 2 hours to watch "Unforgiven"? ;)

Scottwax
10-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Aurora40

Noticed your new sig, so did you use this extra 2 hours to watch "Unforgiven"? ;)

:lol I was wondering when someone would recognize the quote. It was on Encore Friday night. Awesome movie. I was also thinking of making it simply "Deserve`s got nothing to do with it." :bow

BTW, I detailed a Jeep Grand Cherokee and Lexus RX300 today that were both pretty rough inside. Turned out real good though.