PDA

View Full Version : Few Questions from a Newbie

Volvolove
10-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Hey all

i`m fairly new to detailing, but i am having fun.

besides a few small pitmarks and bad touch-up jobs from a previous owner, my car is in pretty good shape for being over 10- years old. The thing that really bugs me is my black trim. I purchased the Forever Black kit, and for a few days, the trim was fine, but there are still several discolored spots ... my guess, its old, dried wax. I`m pretty sure that it`s not just sun discoloration because all of the trim was died the orig. deep black color, except there these white spots show through. Any recomendatons? i just need somethin to get pull up all the old dried wax, or whatever it is.

thanks

imported_Dave Holmes
10-13-2003, 03:18 AM
Creamy peanut butter with a toothbrush helps safely dissolve dried wax from rubber. Then wash the peanut butter off.

Some people use tar and bug remover, but I don`t know what that will do to the rubber.

A quick detailer and toothbrush may work if it hasn`t been stained too long. I use that one, but wax doesn`t stay on my trim for more than maybe a day.

Simple Green or another APC (properly diluted) and a toothbrush has worked for me in the past.

WD-40 on a rag would probably work for you, too.

Whatever you choose to do, I`d recommend washing the car after to ensure product removal. And applying a good rubber protectant to replenish lost moisture to the rubber (from age and the chemicals) would be beneficial, too. I don`t know if Forever Black can be applied over a protectant, so I`d read the instructions and go from there.

Dave

chris0626
10-13-2003, 08:38 AM
Had my first chance to try Klasse AIO this weekend on the poor, neglected Benz, and it seemed to do a great job removing very old wax residue for me.

Volvolove
10-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks for you help guys. I`ll try a few of those and hopefully she`ll be back to being black.

Lynn -- i`m curious, how did the AIO work on your beat-up Benz?

pcovington
10-13-2003, 07:04 PM
another newbie here.....

i also have a 10 year old vechile.... so the forever black worked well? what kind of `kit` did you get?

p

Volvolove
10-13-2003, 07:09 PM
glad to know im not alone

i believe i bought it from Classic Motoring Online ... it`s just the Forever Black, with a cleaner that you wash the trim w/ first. The stuff worked wonders ... it was just my own dumb fault that i put it despite dried wax spots. It hasn`t faded at all for oh, maybe 2 months since i`ve applied it

hope that helped

pcovington
10-13-2003, 07:17 PM
cool, i will have to give it a try...

my pickup has only been washed 8 or 10 times in the last 10 years and one of the things that bugs me the most is the faded trim

by the way, my friend told me about this site a couple of months ago and I am going to try to get my pickup looking new again with all the tips from this forum, so wish me luck, :)

p

chris0626
10-15-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Volvolove

Lynn -- i`m curious, how did the AIO work on your beat-up Benz?

OK, Volvolove ... you asked for it! :D Please, all you Klasse lovers out there, be gentle on me, for this was my first time with Klasse. But feel free to give me tips on where I may have gone wrong.

The paint on this `93 Benz was in "decent" but not-nearly Concours condition. I hit it with clay then SMR (that took about half a day for me ... `cause I`m notoriously slow). Then went straight to AIO. (Now I wonder if that was a mistake; maybe I should have Dawn-washed, but I thought AIO was supposed to be effective in removing polish residues.) LORDY! My arm like-ta fell off!!! It took 3 "aerobic" applications of AIO. Every time I applied a layer of the AIO, I ended up with some sort of yukky residue, streaky black-oily-sort-of residue that would not go away (after lots of time and extensive rubbing) until I removed it with a MF & Meguiar`s Final Detail. (Thanks again, Mike!) Finally, after the 3rd (exhausting) round, the residue was gone. I have a hunch that the AIO was picking up the polish residue and the oxidation from my sorely-neglected paint. But I sure don`t remember anybody warning that AIO would behave that way; the "propaganda" seemed to be that AIO would be nearly-effortless and awesome.

After that laborious, daylong adventure, the next day I moved on to SG, and it was much easier. I waited 24 hours between coats of SG and had none of the fabled hazing or streaking that others have experienced. The shine and depth are pretty much what I`ve experienced on my Zaino car. So I`m happy with it -- just didn`t realize it would take so much more effort than Zaino has required for me. :(

Was that the kind of info you wanted?? :nixweiss

Volvolove
10-17-2003, 09:37 PM
yes, that`s all i wanted to know. thanks lynn.