PDA

View Full Version : New PC/ proper steps?

DantePasquale
10-11-2003, 03:09 PM
I am finally taking the plunge, getting the PC7336.

Have read many, many, posts and threads, and I think I have a good handle on how to tackle my problem, but would appreciate some input from the `experts`!

Have 2 cars to worry about, the first is a 94 Infiniti J30T, paint still good overall, a few spots that need attention. The second car is my bigger concern, a 2001 Accord V6EX, dark green paint with water spots..

The water spots just laughed at the Vinegar bath I gave the car, so after reading various posts, was thinking of the following (for both cars):

wash

PC with yellow pad and 3M SMR (or 3M Finesse II)??

PC with polish (pinnacle? or 3M?)

hand apply AIO twice (PC apply?)

hand apply SG twice

hand apply 1 coat of Souveran.

The cars look good now, THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!, but I want to get rid of the water spots, and take the next step up in detailing....Any words of advice deeply appreciated!

Acehole
10-11-2003, 04:50 PM
I`m far from an expert, but I will tell you - Don`t forget the clay. I was working on a friend`s 95 Taurus and I didn`t feel like claying. I did one pass with Poorboys SWR1 and a pass with 3M SWR for dark cars and there was still a lot of bonded contaminants in the finish. I had to hit it with the clay, which got the paint amazingly smooth. Also, don`t underestimate the power of Imperial Hand Glaze, especially on an older vehicle with good paint. It leaves a finish that cannot be matched and hides a ton of sins. Souveran over IHG will look incredible.

DantePasquale
10-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Excellent point about the clay. Have clayed b4 w/ very good results, but it slipped my mind for some reason.....

R u saying do the IHG after the SG or instead of it??

Acehole
10-11-2003, 07:52 PM
I`ve never used IHG over a polymer. I usually use a polish or SWR, IHG and then whatever I feel like putting over it. I`ve used UPP and Best of Show over it with fabulous results. AIO would probably remove IHG or anything else, so I would use it after the AIO. Try a panel with SWR, IHG and Souveran and drool away. I have my doubts about IHG bonding with SG, so I would leave it out. You have to experiment, as you well know. I guess my point was that IHG really makes a difference and I try to use products that allow me to work it into my routine.

Deanski
10-11-2003, 09:16 PM
3M IHG or 05990 FILLS swirls.

From the 3M Automotive Aftermarket 2003 catalog.

Non-Silicone, non-wax hand glaze.

Excellent depth of shine.

Superior luster.

used by hand to refine and FILL swirls after machine glazing refinish or factory applied paints.

Specially formulated to work on all colors and can be painted over.

However, 3M IMG or 05991 does not fill.

Mostly used for acrylic lacquer work though.

3M FII-FM; or 05928 also does not fill.

If you are not familiar with 3M polishes/glazes, I would recomend that you get a 3M catalog so you have a better understanding on the product line. Some of it is still not clearly defined as to how aggessive it is. this is why I suggest the Megs line as it`s easy to see which does what and at what level of abrasive. 3M is a bit more of a learning curve on the products. Unless you use them in a body shop or have experience with them, it can get a bit unclear on which to use for what.

If you are going to use IHG and AIO, the AIO will strip the fillers out.

Regards,

Deanski