PDA

View Full Version : New paint job need help!

TI II
10-09-2003, 10:17 PM
I just got my car repainted YEAH!:D

Well it`s a decent paint job but it looks 100% times better than the 8 y/o paint that was currently on the car. My ??? to the experts is... Once the two month cure period is over what should I use? being that the car is a daily driver and it`s 90% of the time outside in the sun, rain, ect... What would you recommend for a fresh new canvas.

Heres the stats:

Car is

Milano Red (like fire engine red) W/ clear coat

Daily driver

Out in the elements 90% of the time

Brand new paint

All products will be applied by hand

I was reading and found that this combo would work well for durability:

Klaase All In One

Klasse Sealant Glaze

Topped with P21S

Does this sounld ok? Give me some of your expertise!

:cool:

jeremyp111
10-10-2003, 06:13 AM
Perfect! You`ve done your homework, nice job. For durability there`s only one choice for a product type...polymer or acrylic sealants. Klasse is an acrylic sealant and has very good durability and shine and can be topped with your wax of choice. You could also look into other sealants such as Megs #20, Zaino, Platinum UPP, Blackfire, etc.

imported_f150smith
10-10-2003, 07:32 AM
That sounds like a good plan after the paint has cured.

Have you considered any type of Glaze to protect the paint during this cure time, especially since it sits outside most of the time. I just had my wife`s car hood, repaired and repainted from a tree limb that found it during a storm and the the painter suggested I use the following 3M glaze during the cure time. He gave me enough for one coat and I order a quart (the smallest size available) from my local NAPA store.

I pasted the following from the 3M site for your info.

"3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Finishing Glaze 05941, 1 Quart (US), 12 per case.

New final glaze that provides the most durable, silicone-free protection while allowing the paint to breath."

Hope this helps.

Al

TI II
10-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys. I have few more ??? though. can the following be "layered" like zanio?

1.Klaase All In One

2.Klasse Sealant Glaze

3.Topped with P21S

For example, If I were to use the three steps on the first wax how would the second wax job be applied? In the same 1,2,3 step or 2,3 or like 5 coats of step 2 then finish it off w/ step3.

I`d like to build layers of protection but at the same time would K. AIO "erase" the layers and have me to start all over again?

"3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ III Finishing Glaze 05941, 1 Quart (US), 12 per case.

New final glaze that provides the most durable, silicone-free protection while allowing the paint to breath."

I like the Idea of having some sort of "wax" on the car during the curing process. I`ll ask the painter if it`s ok.

Thanks guys you been a great help. I`ll post some pice when I get the car back tommrow.:cool:

imported_f150smith
10-10-2003, 10:26 AM
You only need to apply the AIO as the base coat, then top with as many layers of KSG as you like before using the P21S. AIO will remove any previous layers of P21S and KSG and the KSG will not bond on top of P21S,

Jesstzn
10-10-2003, 11:13 AM
To me your missing the first 2 steps

1) Clay bar

2) Polish .. never mind hide and fill .. use something like Menzerna Intensive polish if the new paint shows any orange peel even ever so slight then Menzerna Final Polish. If your happy with the paint finish then just Menzerna Final polish to get rid of( not fill) the swirls you will aquire over the 2 months. THEN on to your klasse etc .. why not start with a solid base instead of trying to cover up a bunch of swirls later on.

P21S I understand has no life but great gloss, maybe you don`t mind rewaxing every month or so. I have Zaino on mine and am still out to lunch on it .. I have topped all the car with #26 except for the roof and one door top. The roof I used Glanz Wax .. neither had ill effects but the Glanz long outlasted the #26. The door top was not topped and the Zaino after 2 months is loosing its beading.