PDA

View Full Version : AIO on Black Trim - Any Pics

pingable
10-09-2003, 03:42 PM
I`ve had it trying to keep my trim black. My car has alot of black trim and it`s a constant battle keeping it look good. I usually get it real clean with a diluted mix of EFHI and I`ve tried Z16 (which looks great but doesn`t last) and also Wurth Rubber Care....which so far has been doing okay.

I`m thinking about buying some AIO to try and see how well it does. Anyone have any pics of AIO`ed trim pieces.

Accumulator
10-10-2003, 12:07 PM
Chefwong- Sorry, no pics, but I didn`t want to just leave you wondering. AIO gives a nice satin look the the trim *I`VE* used it on. I usually follow up with either SG, BFII, or P UPP for added protection and so I don`t have to redo it so often. Also, topping it gives you a few options as far as MINOR differences in appearance (the BFII is the richest, "oiliest" of the three, the P UPP and SG are about the same). Note that I`ve had a LITTLE white residue issue with the P UPP on SOME plastic surfaces, but it goes away with QD and/or added applications of P UPP (this is NOT a real problem, I did all the black trim on my S8 with it and it was easy and looks GREAT). 1st choice is probably the BFII.

I`m gonna go out on limb here and guess that you`ll like it. If you don`t, just wash it off with a strong EFHI mix and go back to what you`ve been using. *I* don`t think the AIO will last that long by itself anyhow, which can be good OR bad.

I tell ya, it`s GREAT to NOT have to redo the trim every time you wash the car :xyxthumbs

Mantic6t9
10-10-2003, 12:34 PM
So AIO is totally safe on black trim?

Accumulator
10-10-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Mantic6t9

So AIO is totally safe on black trim?

Uh...:o I`d better say that NOTHING is TOTALLY SAFE on ANYTHING!

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, for practical purposes, yeah, it`s about as safe as effective cleaners get. I`ve even used it *VERY VERY GENTLY* on soft black RUBBER trim, a REAL :nono but it was a "gonna still be damaged anyhow, last resort"-type situation. And it DID solve the problem.

I have NEVER had ANY problem using AIO on the [black and gray plastic/anodized aluminum/satin black painted steel/other similar finishes ad infinitum] surfaces of my vehicles. NOT ONE PROBLEM. You SHOULD, however, be careful, some of these finishes CAN be removed/damaged by the (very mild) abrasive and/or chemical cleaning properties of products like AIO, so test an inconspicuous area first.

What are you thinking of using it on? Maybe a specific application question will trigger a more specific response. I`d hate for you to try it on something I`m not thinking of with undesired results.

Mantic6t9
10-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Personally i`m not planning on using it on trim i was just wondering about it. But when i made the statement i was thinking " is it safe on black vinyl and rubber side moldings?"

Jesstzn
10-10-2003, 06:56 PM
I have a VW Passat with a lot of black on the lower valances .. Someone gave ne "Forever Black" tire dressing and I tried it on the tires .. didn`t like it .. Tried it on the valances .. lasted 20+ washings ..

jeremyp111
10-10-2003, 08:39 PM
I use AIO/SG and I use the AIO to do all of the black trim, except below the doors (metal/plastic/rubber). It has a satin finish to it and cleans it up really nicely too. The protection does last quite a while, but I don`t go too long before redoing the AIO/SG over. I just did the AIO and one coat of SG today so tomorrow I`ll get a couple of pics for ya and post `em here.

I will also say that I also use Megs #40 to clean and protect the vinyl and rubber trim pieces after I`ve gone over it with AIO.

Jeremy

AutoAppearances
10-11-2003, 09:15 PM
chefwong:

Have you ever tried Automotive Internationals (Valugard`s)

Trim N` Molding Renewer

http://www.autoint.com/trim_n%20molding.htm

Very nice results and long lasting too.

Do a search on Valugard within Autopia.

Paul

imported_Jon P. Nusbaum
10-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Speaking of AutoInt and Valugard, I have used some of their products and love every one. The Odor Eliminator is the best I`ve found, the Preconditioner Cleaner and Paint Correction Cream (their polish and compound) do their job great without any special scents or additives, and I`ve heard great things about their Trim N Molding Renewer.

BUT...

Now that they don`t have online odering on the web page I don`t know where to buy their stuff. Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

AutoAppearances
10-12-2003, 08:52 AM
I can direct you to a Valugard distributor.

Send me a email

autoappearancesinc@yahoo.com