PDA

View Full Version : Who`s Put Zaino Over AIO ???

Pages : [1] 2

Dave N
10-09-2003, 02:55 PM
I know I`ve seen at least one post by an Autopia "regular" who has used AIO as a base for Zaino. If that`s you, I`ve got a couple of questions:

Are you using the AIO as an actual base coat of sealant, or just as a cleaner?

Did you wash after the AIO / before the Zaino?

I want to strip my current layers of UPP/BF and put something more durable on for winter, but I don`t have a lot of time. I was thinking that a wash, AIO, then Z5/ZFX would make for quick work.

kg/cm²
10-09-2003, 03:41 PM
I believe "Showroomlincoln" has successfully used AIO base w/ Zaino...

BradE
10-09-2003, 04:39 PM
kg/cm is correct :D

I use AIO as a base/cleaner. No, I don`t wash after AIO and before Z. I`ve noticed no bonding or durability issues when using AIO as a base. The Z is still super slick, and still lasts a very long time.

Your plan of wash, AIO, Z5/ZFX should work just fine. :up

Bill D
10-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Now that you`ve mentioned AIO and Z, can you apply the Z2 and ZFX on top of SG?

BradE
10-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Never tried that Bill. My only issue with trying it would be that SG is prone to haze issues, so I`m not sure I would "top it", so to speak, with Zaino.

Bill D
10-09-2003, 05:11 PM
I hope if one tried that, the Z products woulndn`t react with the SG and cause the hazing :scared I guess then, all those sealants would have to be stripped off and reapplied from scratch :(

rstype
10-09-2003, 06:12 PM
I tried it with great success. AIO is more lenient than Z1 and makes prepping less painstaking. Conventional Z is almost a big surgical project you prepare for and do once. That is not the case for AIO + Z2. It`s as forgiving (and relaxing!) as slapping on a glaze + wax.

I recommend AIO + Z for wax-users considering the switch to synthetic. It works well when detailing someone else`s car, too.

Bill D
10-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Too late for me I guess, I have loads of SG on my car, sounds like the Z is compatible only with AIO :(

Mizzuri
10-09-2003, 06:42 PM
I used AIO as a base for Zaino on this car

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28809

In therory the cleaning properties of AIO will strip all the oils, or at least cover them with a polymer base that will aid Z or SG to bond. If you are particulary worried put one coat of AIO will a PC, dont buff it off, then go over it with another coat by hand.

I have used Z over SG, It was an Audi A6 with 6 layers of SG, It seamed to work fine, no bonding issues. I preped it with Z6 then applied. It gave the finish an extra slickness that Sg didnt. (not much, buy I noticed it)

That what happens when you spend too much time on Autopia. I bet that at least 90% of the members here can tell the difference between a wax and polymer like SG or Z instantly. I think we are all a bit Sick...:xyxthumbs

Dave N
10-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Super-duper :xyxthumbs Thanks for all the replies!

It`s good to hear that AIO/Z works well without ZFX too. That combination may be my new method for doing friends` and families` cars.

DETAILKING
10-10-2003, 02:35 PM
I have used AIO before Zaino with no problems either. I usually apply the zaino coat 1-2 weeks after AIO with 1-2 washes in between.

Dave N
10-13-2003, 07:58 PM
I did the "Zaino over AIO" thing this weekend. I previously had a base of BF2, with a few coats of UPP on top of that. I did a Dawn wash, used AIO with a CMA Orange Power Pad, then did a Z6 wipe-down. I put two coats of Z5/ZFX on Saturday, and then a coat of Z2 on Sunday. It`s now uber-slick, so I`m hoping that the Z bonded to the AIO well enough to last the winter. Sorry, no pics...

LouisanaJeeper
10-13-2003, 08:23 PM
I tried Z-5 over a car with 3+ layers of SG (Just because I had just Z`ed another vehicle and had 1/2 oz of Z left that I did not want to just throw away!). It seemed to bond well and looked good.

rstype
10-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

I tried Z-5 over a car with 3+ layers of SG (Just because I had just Z`ed another vehicle and had 1/2 oz of Z left that I did not want to just throw away!). It seemed to bond well and looked good.

I`m just curious... what made you realize that the Z5 bonded well? I consider a polymer "bonded" when it has fully crosslinked and cured.

The main reason I recommended AIO + Zaino was because it made things easier. SG should work OK underneath Z, but what`s the point?

This brings me back memories of when jpg (?) topped Z with BF I... :eek:

raymond_ho2002
10-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by BW

I`m just curious... what made you realize that the Z5 bonded well? I consider a polymer "bonded" when it has fully crosslinked and cured.

What lets you know that a polymer has crosslinked and cured?