imported_brerpie
10-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Hey All,

Would this procedure be ok?

1) wash paint with meguiars gold class soap

2) apply meguiars cleaner wax to vehicle

3) apply scratch x to any noticeable scratches

4) apply meguiars gold class liquid wax

I have minor swirl marks which are on the paint from when the dealer washed it. From now on, I tell them "no wash".

I use a chenille style wash pad. Also, to dry I plan on using an absorber and just patting it down.

Any comments? Will this be ok? I`m a beginner.

Thanks!

Deanski
10-08-2003, 09:47 PM
After washing your finish, you really need to clay it prior to any polishing. This removes all surface debris still stuck on the finish that the wash did not get out.

Once you clay, wash again. Now after a careful drying with say a Micro-Fiber Waffel-Weave or MFWW towel, proceed to polishing.

Cleaner/wax wwill just clean it that much more, but does nothing for swirls or defects.

Obtain some Megs #9 at least. If they are that bad, you may need Megs DACP then follow with #9 and if you want that mirror shine, Megs Hand Polish. Yes this is many steps, but once done, maintenance is not so bad.

Apply a good wax after all polishing, such as Megs #26 if staying in Megs line, or there are very good combo glazes/waxes used on this site.

Have you looked at any of Scottwax`s pics? Go and see those in the member gallery. These were done by hand mostly and he uses a combo of a paint cleaner and polish (DACP/SFP) then VM/CMW combo. Very nice results!

All these acronyms can be found to your left on the homepage of Autopia.

A VERY good suggestion would be to order the Autopia Guide to Detailing.

Regards,

Deanski

imported_brerpie
10-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Thank you very much for your expert advice. Would clay be necessary since the car is new? It`s a 2004 and the paint feels pretty smooth after a wash.

Would you recommend applying the meguiars cleaner wax? A friend of mine just told me that it will add more swirls to my finish.

Would it possibly be better to do this:

1) wash paint with meguiars gold class soap

3) apply scratch x to whole vehicle

4) apply meguiars gold class liquid wax

Deanski
10-08-2003, 10:10 PM
To be honest, most new cars that are prepped at the dealer gain more swirls and damage than most anywere! It`s that new dealership department " Swirl mark and scratch application department"

All new cars mostly arrive via rail or truck. The dust from all this sticks like glue. They only way to get it off is clay. You can pick up a clay kit from most automotive stores. A good one out is called "Clay Magic" and the clay is blue. When you get it, also get some latex gloves to cover the oils from your hands. Now, cut up the clay in thirds. Flatten one and get the provided spray that came with it and after you washed the car, spray a small area and rub the clay. It sould glide and you may feel it p/u the dirt. Once all the car is clayed, wash again.

Polish with a light polish. You can use Megs #9 or Megs Hand Polish, or if you want to stay in the consumer line, you could use Megs PPC then Megs PPP. Both work very well together and the cleaner is more of a chem cleaner than abrasive. The PPP has a blend of wax and polymers to keep the level of shine up.

Using the Scratch-X over entire car is not what it was designed for, however, some of us sware it`s #9 in a tube!

If this is a new car, look into some better waxes/sealants.

Many choices: P21S/S100, Souveran, EX, VM/CMW, EX, Megs

Klasse AIO/SG, Zaino, Megs, Blackfire etc.

Go to the top right and click on LEARN as well.

Also, need to know more on a product? Check out the reviews. We sometimes rate and add comments on all types of stuff!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Regards,

Deanski

imported_brerpie
10-09-2003, 07:57 AM
Would it hurt to use Scratch X over the whole car? The directions state that it will not add any scratches or swirls. Additionally, it says that it can be used over the entire vehicle.

What do you think?

From What I understand everyone recommends to wash, clay, wash, polish, wax.

Is megs cleaner wax considered a polish? I already have this product on hand. Should I get something else instead? Possibly use Scratch X on the entire vehicle as polish?

I also have megs gold class liquid wax. Does this stuff not cut it?

Is there anything I should practice in order to not mess up the finish and to avoid any additionaly scratches and/or swirls?

imported_Larry A
10-09-2003, 08:20 AM
A month ago I did a 2002 Blazer dark blue in color I washed , clayed, #6 (a cleaner wax) and followed with # 26. Came out outstanding.

Deanski
10-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Yes your could, but again it`s not very cost effective. If you do have swirls, you need to try to remove them. Megs #9 is a good starting point and is sold by the pint.

The cleaner/wax is fair at getting some light defects out, but in any case, you should use a product dedicated for one thing at a time for best results.

If you went and tried a section of the finish with the Scratch-X and you still have swirls, you need a more aggressive product like DACP. If it removes them, great! Make sure you use a 100% USA cotton towel as it has more "bite" than most other items, or you can start with a foam hand pad first. Do not rub too hard, but keep the pressure as even as possible. Check your work often.

As for wax, there are so many.. If you want to stay in the Megs line, get the #26 Yellow wax. Or, find a motocycle shop that has S100 wax, which is a very good carnuba!

Gold Class is OK and looks really good, but again there are other waxes to choose from. It does go on and off easy, just keep a good selection of MF towels on hand so you are not re-applying marks from the removed wax.

A good source for MF towels is Pakshak! or Autofiber.

Get some Megs FI for wipe down of polishes and wax etc, it helps.

Go ahead and look at the reviews above for more info to all types of products!

Regards,

Deanski