PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Stonegard

Marty
10-07-2003, 10:43 PM
What do people think of this product.

I am thinking of getting it installed on my car.

Would I be able to use Klasse on it?

http://www.stonegard.com.au

Any comments would be appreciated.

Deanski
10-08-2003, 04:50 AM
Although I do not have Stoneguard on my car, I do however have a similar product called Armorglove.

Most are 3M Scotchcal paint protection film.

By far the best investment I made! You can see what my Armorglove looks like here: Armorglove on SC430 (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3701&papass=&sort=1)

I highlighted the area where it ends, as it`s hard to see.

Yes you can wax over it, just be careful rubbing it.

Armorglove is found here: ARMORGLOVE (http://www.armorglove.com/)

Regards,

Deanski

fidelfs
10-08-2003, 08:21 AM
I am thinking about armorglove for my car but I have some questions.

If you keep using Zaino or any other product that will make it shine better or increase reflections won`t be any difference between the area with armorglove/stonegard and the rest of the car?

Maybe is a stupid question but I have never use it before.

:confused:

Deanski
10-08-2003, 08:35 AM
Nope, mine looks the same. The film is more glossy than others so on a well maintained car it`s very tuff to see. On lighter colors you pick it up more than darks.

So far, I`ve put Zaino on it, Souveran, FD, QS etc.. No ill effects, just watch the edges.

What I liked about Armorglove is that they can wrap it under the hood, where as others stop at the edge, and those look more like a big decal. You don`t get that with Armorglove.

They can custom make anything! I`ve got it on the front bumper/air-dam, headlights, fender by headlights, hood, side mirrors, rocker panels and door cups. Cost was about $1000 for all the film and labor.

A few cautionary measures are all you need. Do not rub hard on it, do not try to scrap off bugs etc by use of a tool. Just be aware that it is after all plastic and can scratch easy if rubbed too hard. I`m still trying to get a heel mark out on the rocker panel side and so far have not found a good plastic polish to remove it. Tried Megs Plastix, nope, didn`t work. Now on to Renova then Novus.

I tell you, I`d rather look at this than the stone chipping!

After time it can be removed with no ill effects to the paint as it does NOT filter UV, so paint will oxidize the same as if it wasn`t there.

Prior to application, just make sure the finish is as clean and free of any defects (swirls/marring etc) as you will be living with it for some time. The area has to be wax-free, and they normally use Prep-Sol 70 to clean the area of all wax.

Best investment I made on a car that is VERY prone to stone chipping!

Regards,

Deanski

Bill D
10-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Hey Deanski,

Forgot to ask you: Is Armorglove 3m too? I`ve looked at the website, saw no mention of the actual material used. Seems like Armorglove is the only paint protector that wraps around the hood as opposed to just laying on top of it.

Thanks

Deanski
10-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Yes, Armorglove is a 3M version of Scotchcal used in Europe which is a thicker film than most others.

They (Armorglove) do most of the high-end cars in our area, so I did see the work prior and after doing my due-diligence, I found that they provide a better product, but maybe a longer warranty as others.

As for wrapping, they can literally do a whole hood if you wanted. They showed me one install they did for a news anchor that parks in NYC garages. They did the doors! All of them! Lessens the impact of door dings!

I also looked at one car that was involved in an accident and the Armorglove side, the paint was still perfect. Dented, but no damage to the paint. The area near it was not so lucky!

They have a list of locations and installers. My advise is to go and see it yourself. This way you can view the work and hopefully speak to a customer or two.

Let us know how you do.

Regards,

Deanski

Bill D
10-08-2003, 11:03 PM
All I can say about virtually the entire car being wrapped in Armorglove is..........WOW! :xyxthumbs

That is definitely an Autopian`s dream come true!

Now whenever I watch the news I`ll be wondering which anchor`s car is Armorgloved ( and if he/she parks real far away in the corner )