PDA

View Full Version : What to spray on foam pads for rotary?

OI812
09-03-2004, 10:33 PM
I read some post where people talk about spraying foam pads with detail mist, or water. I know they are using it for a lubricant. I`m kind of wondering which works better and why.

Has anyone tried that with a pc and foam pads?

Nickc0844
09-03-2004, 10:46 PM
I use water for when I am polishing and a Adam`s Detail Spray when I am waxing and/or sealing.

awd330
09-03-2004, 11:49 PM
I use distilled water for priming machine pads. Note: Some products do not require (or may not compatible with) premoistening.

norahcrv
09-04-2004, 12:32 AM
So just to be on the "safe" side, should I only use the product I`m applying to "prime" the pad?

jaybs02
09-04-2004, 07:50 AM
I use water.
I tried Using Mother`s Qd, and it left a haze... It was all easily removed when I went over the car w/ the Mother`s again, but at first sight it was horrified :bigscream

"J"

awd330
09-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by norahcrv
So just to be on the "safe" side, should I only use the product I`m applying to "prime" the pad?
Some products actually work better with a water dampened pad (e.g. EX-P). If you`re unsure, just post a list of products here and we`ll try to give you some suggestions about whether or not to dampen.

norahcrv
09-05-2004, 02:21 AM
Thanks Marj,
I`d appreciate your advice on "pad dampening/priming on the following products I plan to apply with the PC later today:
PB SSR1 w/ PC & Megs Yellow polishing pad
PB PwC w/ PC & Megs Yellow polishing pad
PB Ex-P w/PC & Megs Tan finishing pad

I`d like to top it all with NxT, but I only have one finishing pad - can I clean it & then use for the NxT? Or am I better to wait til the second one comes in? Or can I use one of my "extra" polishing pads for the NxT? Or use a polishing pad for the Ex-P, and save the finishing pad for NxT?

Or, I may test out the Pinnacle Swirl Remover & Liquid Souveran.

Norah

PS - what about AIO or SG? Might use them on the Civic Wagon if there`s time.

PPS - Sorry, it`s late and I`m overthinking this . . .

JimS
09-05-2004, 07:10 AM
I always spray the pad very lightly with tap water when using Steve`s stuff.

I don`t think you`ll need to top SSR1 with PWC, it`s almost the same product. I`d top with EX-P or EX and quit there. I don`t think you`ll gain anything with the NXT as you already have a sealant on there. Wait a few hours and do another coat of Ex/EXP......imo. :D

awd330
09-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Norah - This would be my dampen/don`t dampen strategy for your products:

Dampen with water- EX-P, AIO, SG

Don`t Dampen (just use more product to prime) - SSR1, PwC

I have not used NXT, so I can`t offer any tips there. I would say that NXT and EX-P may not be a good combo since their best qualities sound like they would cancel each other out. NXT is also supposed to have cleaning properties, so it may remove some of the EX-P. In any case, if you decide to top EX-P, wait at least one day and then apply the topper by hand or by PC with a finishing pad. If you only have one finishing pad, wash it out well and let it air dry overnight. If possible, just wait until you get your second finishing pad.

norahcrv
09-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Marj!
By dampen with water - just a quick spritz from a spray bottle?
I appreciate the heads up on the NXT - maybe I`ll break out the Natty`s tomorrow then instead? I just want it to really "pop" - whatever that is?
Norah

awd330
09-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by norahcrv
Thanks, Marj!
By dampen with water - just a quick spritz from a spray bottle?
I appreciate the heads up on the NXT - maybe I`ll break out the Natty`s tomorrow then instead? I just want it to really "pop" - whatever that is?
Norah
I like to use a couple spritz`s from a spray bottle. It`s just enough to dampen the entire pad, but not wet enough to be able to wring out even a single drop.

"Pop" is just a little extra gloss/wetness/depth that one product lends over another. You`ll recognize it when you see it.

norahcrv
09-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Gotcha! Thanks for the quick responses, now I`m going back down to supervise my helper!
Thanks again,
Norah